Cyanobacteria In A Very Planted Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

The seemingly different approaches are not really surprising.  One must remember that the whole object in a planted tank is to have a balance of light and nutrients so the plants make full use of both, and algae and in this case cyanobacteria cannot.

I would suggest that Lunar's approach worked because the plants were able to use the additional nutrients, and the increased water flow prevented them from "sitting" as it were.  Each aquarium is biologically different, and the balance can slip out now and then for whatever reason.  Once it is restored, things should be good.  I have severn planted tanks, all maintained equally with respect to plant load/species, fertilizers, fish load, light and water changes; yet the cyanobacteria has appeared only in the one tank and at three different times over six years.  Point here is that the biology is clearly different.

BTW, attibones, I forgot something previously.  As you have soil, when you clean the substrate do not dig down into the soil.  And remember what I mentioned initially, that you will see high organics from the soil which I still feel is the cause of your cyanobacteria.  I have researched into soil substrates a fair bit, and the only benefit to using soil is the organics for the first few months.  These release CO2 and thus provide the carbon for the plants.  In tanks without soil, it takes a few months for the substrate to build up the organics to the degree that CO2 will be sufficient.  I've never had problems with CO2 levels, so I still don't see any real benefit to soil.  But this is what it is, so this is most likely the source of the cyano.  Eventually of course the sopil wears out.  Diana Walstad says this occurs in one year, after which (in her own words) the soil substrate is equal to any sand or fine gravel substrate with respect to plant growth.

Byron.

So over the weekend, we had a big storm which took down the power line to my house. I was still visiting my parents so I didn't realize this was going on. Came back yesterday and the power has been out for about two days. We just got power back to my house. I can see that the cyano is no longer attached to the sponges but has attached to a few floating plants which I will remove for a spot treatment as previously suggested. The almost black out seems to have helped so I'll cut the lights back by two hours and do a decent substrate cleansing by just going into the gravel portion and not the soil. I hope to add an extra source of air as well.

Oh, Byron, I'm planning on starting a similar tank at some point with just sand in order to decide which one has the better plant growth. I stumbled onto the Walstad method a few months ago and I decided to give it a go. My plant growth is substantial, I will say that much. We shall see how it looks when the soil "expires," so to speak. :)

Oh, and thanks for all your help, everyone. I plan to keep this updated with my attempts to knock out this stuff.

I had really bad BGA. I'd say that at its worst it covered about 60-70% of the wood and rocks etc.

I tried the black out. Didn't work. In the end, what did it was manually clearing as much as possible regularly, increased flow by means of a powerhead and H2O2 applied directly to affected areas using a syringe with all flow off.

Within 2-3 weeks it was all gone. Since then (6 months) I have twice seen slight traces of it. I apply H2O2 again and it dies.

Good luck

David

Thanks for the input. I got it all managed. I have one spot that still has a few stubborn bits but it is almost entirely gone. It's in a tough to reach space naturally. I took the sponges off the output of the filter to improve water flow which seems to have helped a lot.

Now I just have to handle the hair algae that's growing in the java moss in my shrimp tank. It never ends. :)

Most reactions

trending

Back