Cutting Polystyrene Sheets Without The Mess?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

totally tropical

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am moving house and plan to buy some polystyrene sheeting for the base of my 300 litre tank (old sheet needs disregarding due to wear and tear).

B&Q sell large polystyrene sheets which will ideally do for future replacements. As the sheets are so big, I will need to cut off so much to fit it into the car.

Can you recommend the best way of cutting polystyrene so that you get a nice, clean even edge without it breaking and being so messy?

Previously on other polystyrene bases, I have tried with scissors and a stanley knife with dubious results. Maybe there is no easy answer?

Thank you.

I was going to suggest a Stanley knife but maybe you are right and there is no technique that doesn't make a mess.

hot wire cutter, you can get them from model shops and it melts through the plastic, wear a mask and do it outside though.
agreed no mess with this method.

ask if B&Q will cut it to size for you then they have the mess not you!!

you can use a wood saw. it wont be a perfectly straight edge but it wont be far off

a finely serrated bread knife works fairly well..they usually have a wavy edge one side and a fine toothed edge on the opposite side

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back