Custum large sponge filter

Skye aquatics

Reaction score
Hello. I made a huge custom sponge filter for my 244 gal aquarium. I hate the hose at the top of them so this is what I did. I used the bottom weight and connector from a basic one. I drilled a 1/4" hole through the center. Cleaned out all shavings that got stuck inside. Than I used a 1" pvc pipe that I drilled hundreds of 1/8" holes all around pipe. I painted it black with aquarium safe paint. I pushed the airline up through the hole the length of the pipe and connected an air stone. Than superglued pvc to the bottom to the original weight I drilled through. Than pulled the hose and air stone back to the bottom. I ordered 3 extra sponges made for regular sponge filters and pushed them over pvc. I hide the hose in the gravel and is so easy to slide off sponges for cleaning. My aquarium was always clean but now it's crystal clean

Attachments

• 20211121_144207.jpg
    20211121_144207.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 56
Hello. I made a huge custom sponge filter for my 244 gal aquarium. I hate the hose at the top of them so this is what I did. I used the bottom weight and connector from a basic one. I drilled a 1/4" hole through the center. Cleaned out all shavings that got stuck inside. Than I used a 1" pvc pipe that I drilled hundreds of 1/8" holes all around pipe. I painted it black with aquarium safe paint. I pushed the airline up through the hole the length of the pipe and connected an air stone. Than superglued pvc to the bottom to the original weight I drilled through. Than pulled the hose and air stone back to the bottom. I ordered 3 extra sponges made for regular sponge filters and pushed them over pvc. I hide the hose in the gravel and is so easy to slide off sponges for cleaning. My aquarium was always clean but now it's crystal clean
Awesome! Looks very professional👍👍👍.

What do you keep in your 244 G tank? My biggest tank is 90 G with a 20 G sump. I buy black sheets of foam & cut to fit the sump tank. I have cichlids & catfish

Very nice build. I tend not to use sponge filters because I don't like too much equipment in tank. However they are one thing I think everyone that keeps fish should know how to make. So useful for so many situations.

Very nice build. I tend not to use sponge filters because I don't like too much equipment in tank. However they are one thing I think everyone that keeps fish should know how to make. So useful for so many situations

That’s one nice thing about a sump. It hides ugly.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back