Custom Tank Project Idea, Feasibility And Costing

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

FingersofFish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm relitavely new to fishkeeping and currently have a off the shelf 70litre, With which I am learning with about fishcare, tank maintinence and plant care....I eventually would like a bigger tank aswell but rather than just buy another off the shelf I am interested in a much longer term project.

Ideally i'd be looking at a tank in the region of 150 -  300 litres, with maximum dimensions of 30w x 17.5h x 15.5d (inches). The tank would have to be drilled and would run on filtration such as a fluval 306 or Eheim classic. Lighting would be over-top LED luminaire.

A stand would also be needed.

Cost is limiting to some extent but as I aim for this to be a longer term project most things can be overcome within reason. I own quite a few tools but probably not everything I need and have reasonable DIY ability and knowlege.

Basically as you guys have some knowlege of this kind of thing i'm looking at answers to the following.

In terms of Cheapest Cost, Feasibility and Level of Difficulty, what would be the best option.

1) Buy a fully custom tank/cabinet proffesionally made by a shop such as ND, Wharf Aqutics, Poesidon.
2) Buy a cheap custom built rectangle tank - customise by drilling etc, buy a custom cabinet
3) Buy an off the shelf tank and cabinet
4) Buy a second hand 'off the shelf' tank and cabinet and restore etc.
5) Build the entire set up from scratch, tank, cabinet etc. etc. (guessing pretty unfeasible without a lot of knowlege!)

hi you will be best building one but u need do a price on class that u need to find how much u will save and if its worth it.

it was goin cost me to buy a 4ft by 2ft by 2ft tank £250 i got all glass for £213 that's 10mm glass

just want see what glass u need n see if its cheaper.

I would probably go for 9mm front, back and sides and a 12mm base.

Depending on how passionate you feel about building the tank yourself, and what access you have to deals on glass, I would lean toward buying a used "off the shelf" tank. With some persistence you can find a used pre-drilled tank for less than the cost of new glass to build your own. If you're willing to put your DIY skills to work fixing one with a leak, you can probably find one for next to nothing.

You'd still have lots of DIY projects and fun left.

Since you're wanting a drilled tank, I'm assuming you're going to use some kind of sump system. That's a whole project itself. Building the sump might be a great starter project to hone your skills and the process of tank building. It also wouldn't have to be "living room pretty" since it would be hidden out of view.

Building your own stand can save you scads of money compared to buying a manufactured one. You could make it as simple or fancy as your tools, skills, and motivation allows. It would also give you the chance to build your sump and stand in conjunction instead of being forced to work around one or the other.

Disclaimer: I have only built my own stand. Never my own tank or sump. But I've read a ton of build threads.

Most reactions

Back