Custom Tank on Order :)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

EndlersGame

Reaction score
I hadn't planned on ordering our new custom tank until later in the summer, but after getting a ridiculously good price from Seabray/Maidenhead, I thought why the heck not. The order went in this morning, so it will take anything from 1 to 6 weeks for it to arrive.

I have calculated the volume to be about 90l (just a smidge under), so have been looking into heaters, filters and full specturm lights this afternoon.

I am thinking that the Fluval U3 would be a good option, with a Fluval T100 heater and the Fluval Aquasky 2.0 21w or 25w light, as the aquarium will be fully planted, and needs a full spectrum light.

Has anyone got any other alternative suggestions, or had experience with these items.... Are they good/suitable?

Also, can anyone recommend a good aquarium soil/sand?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Great to see you got the tank you wanted! :rock:

For my 90L I have this filter. Nothing fancy. I use it mainly for pushing the water around as plants are my main filter.

I've only ever had one brand of heater Aqua One Quartz Glass Heater and never had any issues. I've had a 50w version going on for 3 years now with no problems and a 100w for just over 3 months with no issues. I mainly chose these heaters for the casing, as a peace of mind for me not being able to break them ;)

That light looks great! My 90L has a basic light with no dim, only white colour, and off/on which I regret buying now. I've been eyeing up a Twinstar 60B v2 which has the features I want.

For sand/soil, I've always been a big fan of the JBL range and fluval stratum. Currently have Manado Dark with AquaBasis Plus in my 60L and the combo grows plants well. There are many alternatives though.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
For my 90L I have this filter. Nothing fancy. I use it mainly for pushing the water around as plants are my main filter
That's interesting, I was looking at one similar earlier, and wondered if it would be decent. I liked the fact you can change between filtration, circulation, and oxygenation 👍.

Thanks.

I am pretty excited to get the tank, but maidenhead were a bit vague on timescale. But even if its 6 weeks, it gives me plenty of time to get everything sorted for the scape 😬.
My first proper attempt... watch this space!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That's interesting, I was looking at one similar earlier, and wondered if it would be decent. I liked the fact you can change between filtration, circulation, and oxygenation 👍.

Thanks.

I am pretty excited to get the tank, but maidenhead were a bit vague on timescale. But even if its 6 weeks, it gives me plenty of time to get everything sorted for the scape 😬.
My first proper attempt... watch this space!
I’ve got two of the Nicrew filters 150/L and 380/L. The smallest one does have a major flaw though. two holes are open at the back near the power head in which fish/shrimp can be sucked into. I’ve lost two fish to that. But a quick fix was some filter sponge covering them up by being wedged between the filter and glass. The larger models don’t have this problem which is great as my 90L hosts smaller fish.

The main thing is for it to arrive intact 😅 but I doubt you’ll have any problems. Do a leak test first. Will you be putting the fish from other aquariums in? Or are you deciding on something else?

The main thing is for it to arrive intact 😅 but I doubt you’ll have any problems. Do a leak test first. Will you be putting the fish from other aquariums in? Or are you deciding on something else?
😬 it should be OK, it's going to maidenhead from seabray, so I am hoping it'll be OK 🤞.

I am combining 2 tanks, so all inhabitants will have much more room to swim, play hide etc.

I will add some newbies after a few weeks of "settling in" and to make sure everything cycles smoothly. I will be putting the two old filter cartridges in somehow to help boost bacteria, as well as using as much of the old tank water as I can, then topping up with RO and tap water (treated). I really hope that's enough to start things on the right foot.

I would like to get a few larger fish, but not sure what yet, also looking at the galaxy rasboras/celestial danios.
I could quite happily stock the whole tank with endlers, but won't 😄.
I need an algae eater, but dont want shrimps, snails or plecs (plant detroyers). Any suggestions?

1000005044.jpg

All this talk of defective tanks. We have purchased a topfin, an Aqueon, and a Sepora new and two used tanks. One of the used is I think an Aqueon the other is unknown to us. It has no top frame and measures a true 24 by 12. Each that we have used so far, new or used was tested for several days before being brought up from the basement. All has been good.

I have been somewhat concerned reading various reviews, but, like someone here said an unhappy buyer is far more likely to leave a poor comment than a happy buyer a good one. I do notice that over 20% of the reviews and more are very negative though. We will just keep testing before use.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back