Current Fish Stock With A Future!

Squid31

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I have a 40 gallon tank set up, I was looking for some fish ideas to stock it with. It is a semi-aggressive tank and I have an idea on how I'd like to stock it but I want to hear it from the experts
mobile.gif
I currently have:

x6 Tiger Barbs (1 is a green) originally 8 with 3 green but two passed away from unhealthy store. Will replace
soon so lets just say I have x8 Tigers (3 green).

and

x1 Red Tailed Shark

My tank size is 40 gallons, with the dimensions of 36"x18"x17". I would like to add a Gourami, and a type of Pleco. Any ideas on what type would be the best fit/compatibility with the others? If I have any more room what other type of fish or fishes could I place in the tank?

Thanks for the help!

ncguppy830 said:
maybe an opline gourami?
Lol that was the Gourami I had on my mind, I've read about them and they seem like it would do well. I was just wondering if there are any other types.

I appreciate the input though, I will probably go for that.

there plenty of types my favorite the honey gourami a trio of 2 females to a male.

I wouldn't get any more bottom dweller with the redtailed shark,the opaline popped in my head second i read your post so go with that, and for top i would pick up a nice African butterfly fish. but beware with the ABF they sometimes don't take well to fish food and then you have to make sure you feed him live crickets on the regular.

and for the pleco pick up a bristlenose or a clown, the redtailed might try to mess with it a bit at first but it couldn't really do anything to a pleco even if it tried.

ncguppy830 said:
there plenty of types my favorite the honey gourami a trio of 2 females to a male.
Okay thanks for the input and reading my post, but I like the look of an opaline, I will probably go with that also because I would like a bigger gourami.
biggerfish said:
I wouldn't get any more bottom dweller with the redtailed shark,the opaline popped in my head second i read your post so go with that, and for top i would pick up a nice African butterfly fish. but beware with the ABF they sometimes don't take well to fish food and then you have to make sure you feed him live crickets on the regular.

and for the pleco pick up a bristlenose or a clown, the redtailed might try to mess with it a bit at first but it couldn't really do anything to a pleco even if it tried.
Yea he already bullies the tigers quite a bit lol, but they get over it. And yea the Opaline is my choice Gourami. I like the look of a bushy nose, especially the albinos. As for the ABF it's an aggressive fish and I don't know how it will get along with the gourami also at the top.

i would just go with the opline without the ABF for i agree it could harm the gourami

my African was fine with my gouramis, the thing about Africans is that there eyes are fixated upwards so they cant see below them all that much so as long as the butterfly and gourami are similar sized with plenty of top cover they will be fine. but if you wanna be safe then you can just stick with the Opaline, it just seems like a kinda boring top.

biggerfish said:
my African was fine with my gouramis, the thing about Africans is that there eyes are fixated upwards so they cant see below them all that much so as long as the butterfly and gourami are similar sized with plenty of top cover they will be fine. but if you wanna be safe then you can just stick with the Opaline, it just seems like a kinda boring top.
Thanks for your advice! Yea I know, that why I was seeing what other piece I could put in the tank, Ill have to see if I could find an ABF too. Got any more suggestions?

you could get an angelfish,  as long as you have like 10+ tiger which you can easily do in a 40 they won't nip its fins, or you could get a sail-fin molly but make sure its a sail-fin they get 6-6.5inch which is about the same length as the gourami and any other species of molly will be to small. 

biggerfish said:
you could get an angelfish,  as long as you have like 10+ tiger which you can easily do in a 40 they won't nip its fins, or you could get a sail-fin molly but make sure its a sail-fin they get 6-6.5inch which is about the same length as the gourami and any other species of molly will be to small. 
Okay thanks ill look into those for sure!

Most reactions

Back