Cuckoo Synodontis Catfish

fishandsk8

Reaction score
Hi everyone! :D I am new to the hobby of fish keeping.I would like to know the average size tank for a cuckoo catfish, I think their average size is 6 inch. since I love catfish I wanted to know if I could keep just 1 cuckoo in my 20 gallon tank.

Welcome to the board.
Moved your topic for you. Hopefully you will get more help, and advice.

Firstly you should get yourself very clued up on how tell the difference between the more common Rift Valley Synodontis species, they are often mislabelled in stores...
multipunctata
grandiops
lucipinnis
petricola

Generally speaking they are all rather social, a singleton would be very skittish while a 6+ group would probably be active by daytime in a well scaped tank containing lots of close to hand hiding spots, I really would not get a singleton for a 20g. The smaller ones might just about live in a 3-foot as a group, but a 4-foot or beyond would be better.

In a 20g, I would look to a group of Synodontis nigriventris instead, at least 6 but ieally a few more, in a tank full of shadows and well positioned wood/cork platforms plus broad leaf plants (even fakes) where they can roost/pootle in the daylight hours. Come the nighttime, they will school like a group of tetra, feeding at all levels including upside down at the surface if you provide suitable food.

Most reactions

Back