Ctenopoma Acutirostre extremely shy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Samsbichir

Reaction score
I know they need some hiding spots which mine does... Its just that it doesn't eat a lot. After seeing some videos online of them being constantly out in the open and eating anything, im feeling envious and impatient. Ive narrowed it down to why he doesnt eat enough

-he'd rather chase my SD's than eat
-only eats floating pellets, which he is too shy to go to the surface to eat
-The SD's are bigger than him
- the bichir is way bigger than him
- the hujeta pike is bigger than him

Hes so picky and skinny... Help meeee

Sent from my LG-H959 using Tapatalk

While this is a predatory species, it is also extremely shy and prone to being timid in the presence of fish that are larger, more aggressive, etc. That is probably the main issue here; pike is not a suitable tankmate, and the bichir size rules it out; "SD," I am not sure what this is.

If not removed, the poor Ctenopoma will likely weaken and slowly die.

Byron.

I agree with Byron, you should remove the little guy and get him his own tank, at least for now. Once he's in a separate tank you can try fattening him up by feeding frozen or live foods. Dig of some worms, find some crickets, buy a dozen or so ghost shrimp and get him eating.

I've had a similar issue with a young African peacock. It was too afraid of the other fish to come out and eat. I moved him to my fry tank, where the rotten thing ate several of the OB peacock fry. After a few weeks he was fattened up and a certified predator. He went back in the main tank and now swarms with the other during feeding time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back