Crinum calamistratum (African onion plant)

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

MattW3344

fishy wishy
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I've just ordered one of these and it will be the first bulb plant I've ever kept so was just wondering what experiences other members have had with it.

I had read that it shouldn't have the bulb submerged under the substrate, only the roots. Is this the same for most bulb plants? As I also had my eyes on a Tiger Lotus.

Attachments

• Crinum_calamistratum_.jpg
    Crinum_calamistratum_.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 21
I love my crinium! It's one of mine that has survived moving when I had to take down my tank.... I cut a plastic cup in half, smoothed the edges, then scooped up the bulb in it's substrate, and transferred the whole thing to the "temporary" (ended up being much longer than planned, and is still in there) and it's survived beautifully, and grown such long curly leaves, with absolutely no help from me! I decided on the cup scoop method to move it so I wouldn't disturb the roots too much, and plant didn't seem to worry at all.

I was new to the hobby when I got a tiger lily, and it was amazing while it lasted. When that first shoot of a waterlily pad decides to head for the surface, it grows so fast, I was amazed! Once it stopped doing so well, I took it out of the tank and stuck it in damp sand in a cupboard to replant once the bulb had "rested" - something I read about somewhere. Of course I forgot all about it until after the bulb had died. But I'd give it a go again sometime for sure.

I think that there's more technique involved with the tiger lily plants - something about trimming the shoots that head for the surface if you want it to keep producing more underwater leaves, I believe, but don't trust me on that, do more research elsewhere, because it was a few years ago now that I had and eventually lost the tiger lily plant, and that's when I read up more about it, so I may be wrong or confused. Would certainly not be the first time!

Both beautiful plants though. Well worth it.

Oh, yes, both the crinium and tiger lily bulbs I didn't fully bury the bulb. Can be harder to tell which way to plant a tiger lily bulb, it looks sort of like a withered conker, so it's hard to tell.

Didn't have that problem with the crinium since I bought it as a young plant, and it instantly did well, and has gone strong for a few years now, I think? Struggling to remember when I bought it. But the tendril like leaves are long enough that they reach the surface and entangle with other plants at the surface of my 57g.

I'm thinking of the onion plant in the substrate and the tiger lotus in a slightly submerged terracotta pot. I have an aquascape in mind and these two plants were the main focal points of my new 90L

The tiger lotus is going to be a heavy root feeder. Make sure to stick a root tab close to it. It's roots will get pretty long as well.
As with most bulbs, don't bury it. I always advise my customers to leave it on the substrate. That has the highest sprout rate in my experience.

The tiger lotus is going to be a heavy root feeder. Make sure to stick a root tab close to it. It's roots will get pretty long as well.
As with most bulbs, don't bury it. I always advise my customers to leave it on the substrate. That has the highest sprout rate in my experience.
Since I was planning on putting the tiger lotus in a terracotta pot, should I use aqua soil as well as root tabs? Rather than gravel and a root tab?

Most reactions

Back