Couple Questions On A Us 8g

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I have had a look around for you and have come to the conclusion that you are not going to get a smaller clown/shrimp pair than the hi fin black or red Goby - someone else might have an idea :good: so, looks like you will be doing a lot of water changes!

Shrimp/Goby pairs (but tend to be more expensive then buying seperatly) are often sold but if you buy separately remember you need an Alpheus randalli shrimp

Diet & Feeding:
This fish should be fed a variety of foods, including Spirulina, marine algae, mysid shrimp and other high quality meaty foods.

I'm afraid I can't give you any help with where to buy from as I am in the UK, maybe one of our America cousins can help you out here :good:

Seffie x

:fish:

Thanks for looking for me :D i can live with doing water changes, hi fin goby it is

The shrimp they have just says Alpheus Sp. will that work? i looked up Alpheus randalli on google and all i saw were pictures of hi fin gobys lol, looks like the Stonogobiops nematodes & Alpheus randalli combonation is very popular.

Ok, good to know =] uhmm will other green food like seaweed other then marine algae work? cause i dont think i can get marine algae around here.

Thats ok, thanks for all the help, hopefully someone help can help, for now, liveaquaria is where im ordering from

Nori algae is what I use, i buy it chopped up in a little packet :good: think that shrimp lives with a watchman goby, not sure it would be ok for your fish. Would need to do some research but hoepfully someone else will come along who knows - but for now I would hang fire. Do a bit of googling - type in Alpheus symbiotic shrimp and see what happens, think it will come up with the watchman.

Seffie x

ok, had a few minutes and found this:

Tiger pistol shrimps belong to the family Alpheidae. There are over 600 shrimp species in this family and they all have the characteristic "pistol claw." Due to their family name they are commonly referred to as alpheid shrimps.

If you plan on keeping a tiger pistol shrimp in your aquarium you should make sure that you provide it with a goby species that it has a symbiotic relationship with, otherwise your shrimp will fail to thrive in your tank. Tiger pistol shrimps that aren't paired with an appropriate goby species spend most of their time hiding and aren't happy animals. We should never bring animals into captivity unless we are able to provide them with a life that is similar to, or at least close to as good, as what they have in their natural habitat.

You also need to make sure that you use very fine substrate, such as sand or very fine coral rubble, so that your tiger pistol shrimp is able to excavate a burrow. Make sure to also provide lots of live rock for caves.

It isn't necessary to feed your pistol shrimp live prey. In general, they are easy to feed in captivity. They are scavengers and will help to clean up uneaten food in your tank. They need a meaty diet of chopped up seafood (e.g., shrimp, marine fish flesh, squid), frozen aquarium fare for marine fish, sinking pellets (they are bottom feeders), vitamin-enriched brine shrimp, and mysis shrimp.

Tiger pistol shrimp generally sell for about $18 each. Of course you'll also need to purchase an appropriate goby species (Cryptocentrus cinctus, or Stonogobiops or Amblyeleotris spp.) for your shrimp. If a shrimp and goby are already paired at the petstore you should purchase them both.

Like all marine shrimp species, they are intolerant of flucutating water changes and so you must be careful when acclimating them to a new aquarium.

These shrimps molt (shed their exoskeleton) in order to grow. Supplementary iodine sometimes helps with this process.

Also remember that all invertebrates are intolerant of copper in their tanks - so don't use any copper based medications in their tank.

Tiger pistol shrimps typically live for several years if cared for properly.
===============================================================================
So, you really do need to find out which shrimp it is.................some times a pair are sold on ebay, have you had a look?

I would also suggest you ask the question on the saltwater invertibrates section: 'can someone in the usa suggest a place I can buy a hi fin goby and shrimp pair on line or in my area' obviously you will need to say where abouts you are in the States :D

Seffie x

alright =] thanks ill go look around and post that topic

btw: ebay doesnt have any =[

EDIT: bluezoo has tiger pistols and hi fins but they are out of stock on both...

I just remembered about that anoying clicking noise that pistols make at night, and the tank is RIGHT next to my bed lol.

So im rethinking the pistol shrimp, BUT ill still get a goby for my tank, since that is the only fish that will fit, if i do deicde to not get a pistol, also... find a pistol goby pair is soooooooooooooooooo hard, its driving my crazy that i've had a empty cycled tank for a couple weeks, staring at me, taunting me, its so hard to resist its aluring running water noise :lol:

As soon as your nitrate is under 10 get your cuc in there they will add interest :good:

Seffie x

:watch:

thats ANOTHER problem, i can find my CUC.... no FLS have snails, and i cant find them online, where i dont have to pay 40$ shipping for a 10$ CUC...

look on fleabay for aquatics shops and then email them to ask if they have any they would post

Also, put where you live in your profile so everyone can see in case they can help you

Also, put a new thread in the wanted section of TFF saying what you want

Seffie x

Ok, ill put that i live in Oklahoma

i dont see any ads for aquatic shops on fleabay. I dont see very much on fleabay TBH

Ok, ill put that i live in Oklahoma

i dont see any ads for aquatic shops on fleabay. I dont see very much on fleabay TBH

http://desc.shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=mari...p;_osacat=20754

Just been and looked on fleabay for your side of the pond - seems to be a few sellers on there selling cuc including snails - not sure how far away they are from you (was always awful at geography!) . Just email them and see if they can do you a deal on a small cuc :good:

Seffie x

Most reactions

Back