Corydora behavior help...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Umbra

Reaction score
So, I know it's considered "Normal" or corydoras to swim up and down the glass (No, they are not doing it for air. if they want air, they just dart up from anywhere in my tank, not constantly against the tank. that's what I've observed.) But what exactly is this behavior? If I feed them it seems to stop, but... I'm worrying if I could actually overfeed them. it's also worth noting, I have my powerhead facing the glass at an angle and they do seem to "ride" The current.

The only reason I'm worrying is because I read before that it means they are sad or something, so... Yeah. A bit of advice would be helpful, I LOVE those corys!

There are several possibles here. Before getting to those, though...do not overfeed, this can cause serious issues.

You don't mention the species, but some are more inclined to swim more than others. Corydoras panda is a good example; this fish occurs in cooler water streams in the Andes, and it is quite active, much more than most other species in my experience.

Many species will be very active as you describe when introduced to a new environment. The fact is that all cories dislike being moved, and while they may react differently to a new home, many will be hyper-active up and down the glass. Yes, this is stress, but unavoidable so it is best to make things in and around their tank as quiet as possible. They should settle down in time.

A third reason could of course be something in the water. Cories are highly sensitive to ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. They do not like additives much, so don't use an substance that is not absolutely essential. Generally, this problem would probably also include excess surface breaching for air. The first two possibles above do not usually include more than regular surfacing.

Fourth, it can be spawning or social interaction, if two or more of the species are involved.

Swimming into the current is a natural habit for stressed fish as they are trying to swim upstream away from where they now are. Or if C. panda they expect currents to swim against.

The fact that feeding them settled them down is more likely suggestive of the first, second or fourth options above, and less likely if the third.

Byron.

Last edited:
There are several possibles here. Before getting to those, though...do not overfeed, this can cause serious issues.

You don't mention the species, but some are more inclined to swim more than others. Corydoras panda is a good example; this fish occurs in cooler water streams in the Andes, and it is quite active, much more than most other species in my experience.

Many species will be very active as you describe when introduced to a new environment. The fact is that all cories dislike being moved, and while they may react differently to a new home, many will be hyper-active up and down the glass. Yes, this is stress, but unavoidable so it is best to make things in and around their tank as quiet as possible. They should settle down in time.

A third reason could of course be something in the water. Cories are highly sensitive to ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. They do not like additives much, so don't use an substance that is not absolutely essential. Generally, this problem would probably also include excess surface breaching for air. The first two possibles above do not usually include more than regular surfacing.

Fourth, it can be spawning or social interaction, if two or more of the species are involved.

Swimming into the current is a natural habit for stressed fish as they are trying to swim upstream away from where they now are. Or if C. metae they expect currents to swim against.

The fact that feeding them settled them down is more likely suggestive of the first, second or fourth options above, and less likely if the third.

Byron.

Ok, this helps a LOT! I just got those particular fish (I got 4 panda corys and 4 bronze corys.) and all of them settled within the first day, only riding the glass relaxedly once every half an hour or so (That I saw atleast) Except for two bronzies which always ride the glass up and down together... Hopefully they will settle soon, but atleast I know what the causes can be now so i thank you a lot :) I'll be sure to bring feeding back to normal again.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back