Cory With A Growth

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

**sarahp**

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So I have a cory with a growth.  It's been there about 6 months, it grew to this size in about 2 months but has not got any bigger.  S/he doesn't seem bothered by it , eats well swims well, plays in the bubbles with the others - all the daft things that sterbais do!!  I have IAL in the tank to help with natural healing properties in the water (not sure if it works but it's worth a shot!)

I just wondered if anyone knew what it could be?  I'll see if I can crop the orignal picture for a clearer close up.

20160917_195926_resized.jpg

Think it is either a tumour or lymphocystis. Looking at the color I'd say the first

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

ulcer, or tumor as DD said. interesting so keep us posted :eek:

Using my knowledge with humans and land animals (but this could be inaccurate for fish), dont be too alarmed if it is a tumour as it may be non-malignant/benign.

If it doesn't seem damaging to the fish's health then just make sure you keep him happy :) good food and good water. To you, that lump will be like having a small football (or soccer ball for my friends over the water ;) ) below your armpit. If it doesnt grow and impact his swimming ability then it is just a part of him :) apart from that there isnt a huge amount you can do without treatment i think. I could be wrong though!

If it was cancerous then i think you wouldve seen impact to health after 6 months seeing as fish are such small creatures.

marnold00 said:
If it was cancerous then i think you wouldve seen impact to health after 6 months seeing as fish are such small creatures.

Thanks for the info.  TBH I'd pretty much come to the conclusion that if it was going to kill him it would have probably done it by now, especially as he is showing no signs of being bothered by it.  He hasn't altered his behaviour and he doesn't seem ill.  He's the proper colour, eating well, playing, dashing about with all the others (there are 12 of them in the tank).

I was really worried when I first saw it, fussing over him like an old mother hen, but now it's part of him like you say.  I'm not really sure if there would be any treatment for him?  I can't think of a med in a bottle that will shrink or remove lumps and I can't see a vet operating to remove it (although that does conjur up some rather amusing images in my mind!!)

I'll let you know if it changes,

Thanks for all the replies
good.gif

**sarahp** said:

Thanks for the info.  TBH I'd pretty much come to the conclusion that if it was going to kill him it would have probably done it by now, especially as he is showing no signs of being bothered by it.  He hasn't altered his behaviour and he doesn't seem ill.  He's the proper colour, eating well, playing, dashing about with all the others (there are 12 of them in the tank).

I was really worried when I first saw it, fussing over him like an old mother hen, but now it's part of him like you say.  I'm not really sure if there would be any treatment for him?  I can't think of a med in a bottle that will shrink or remove lumps and I can't see a vet operating to remove it (although that does conjur up some rather amusing images in my mind!!)

I'll let you know if it changes,

Thanks for all the replies
good.gif
As far as i am aware tumours are only removed or destroyed. If hes happy and it is not stopping his swimming then dont worry - assuming it is this.

I had a pet hamster about 14 years ago now. He got a huge benign tumour on his belly. We're talking a good third of his body size. He went on to live another 2 years whilst perfectly happy and cheerful... Sti beating the cat in fights haha it weird how nature could work.

I could be wrong with what that is! Again, from humans/mammals if it was a sore/cycst i would really have thought there would be noticable discomfort. And 6 months with no issues says a lot

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back