Cory group question

In this thread the OP said they had picked up some Jullii catfish, we all know they will be C. trilineatus, but someone had to correct the OP by saying these aren't Jullii Catfish, so what are they, what is the OP going to call them. If you are going to say the OP is wrong, you need to give that person an answer. Or can we only refer to that fish by its Latin name.
Uhhhh Byron told his suspecions which where proved to be right after showing the pics.
C.trilineatus with common name Three Line Cory or Leopard Cory (which common name is shared by three or more different Corys which is why Latin names are often used to not confuse people). The OP got his answer in the first posts.

I seriously don't get what you're trying to say.

Reponding to post #15...We have already said what species this is, and the OP now knows.

Fish stores generally use the wrong name because it is used by the suppliers. Anyone who is serious in this hobby can easily learn the scientific name of fish species and then everyone knows exactly which fish we are discussing. We all learned what we know, it is not that difficult. And I operate under the assumption that new hobbyists coming to this forum with questions are doing so in order to learn, so those of us who have the knowledge should share it.

Using common names is almost always misleading with cories, and many other fish too for that matter. I recall several years ago a local store (and one of the best here) had "silver tetras" listed, so I called and asked the owner what they were. She said she made up the name "silver tetra" because they looked silver and would likely sell better. The scientific name on the invoice had nothing whatever to do with "silver tetra."

Reponding to post #15...We have already said what species this is, and the OP now knows.

Fish stores generally use the wrong name because it is used by the suppliers. Anyone who is serious in this hobby can easily learn the scientific name of fish species and then everyone knows exactly which fish we are discussing. We all learned what we know, it is not that difficult. And I operate under the assumption that new hobbyists coming to this forum with questions are doing so in order to learn, so those of us who have the knowledge should share it.

Using common names is almost always misleading with cories, and many other fish too for that matter. I recall several years ago a local store (and one of the best here) had "silver tetras" listed, so I called and asked the owner what they were. She said she made up the name "silver tetra" because they looked silver and would likely sell better. The scientific name on the invoice had nothing whatever to do with "silver tetra."
Cool Latin names for every reference on this site, which will make it more entertaining. Way more educational and scientific. That is what people come here for.

Am I the only one who thinks it's a lot less faff to use Latin names (or CW/L numbers for undescribed species) so people know exactly what critters you're talking about? They're not hard to learn.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back