Cory group question

oacason27

Reaction score
I went to a local fish store looking for cory catfish today. I was able to pick up 5 paleatus and 5 julii. Is that enough for two small groups? Or do I need a few more?

I went to a local fish store looking for cory catfish today. I was able to pick up 5 paleatus and 5 julii. Is that enough for two small groups? Or do I need a few more?
Id get 1 or more for each group. Cories like to be in groups of 6+

That's fine. They will chum around together, mixed company, but it is always better to have a few of each species, as here.

BTW, it is likely the "julii" are not Corydoras julii but C. trilineatus. Compare the pattern on your fish with reliable photos of these two species. It doesn't really matter, both are cute (!) but it is always good to know exactly what fish species one has. Attached photo of each should help to identify what you have.

Attachments

• Corydoras julii2.jpg
    Corydoras julii2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Corydoras trilineatus1.jpg
    Corydoras trilineatus1.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 53
That's fine. They will chum around together, mixed company, but it is always better to have a few of each species, as here.

BTW, it is likely the "julii" are not Corydoras julii but C. trilineatus. Compare the pattern on your fish with reliable photos of these two species. It doesn't really matter, both are cute (!) but it is always good to know exactly what fish species one has. Attached photo of each should help to identify what you have.
i like false juliis a lot!

i think that looks to be the false julii

Agree, you have C. trilineatus. I really do not know how this mix-up in names got started, but it is widespread. For the record, there is no such fish as "false julii," these are two very distinct species quite unrelated. Though they are in the same lineage, lineage 9, so they evolved from the same ancestor, but so did the other 154 species in this same lineage.

I think the term 'false julii' arose because so many fish stores put the label C. julii on tanks of C. trilineatus. It just became easier to say "those aren't true julii, they are false ones"

Why don't you all just say C. Trilineatus is the "Jullieye" Catfish. Considering you never see C. Jullii

Thinking about it, C. Trilineatus was always called the Leopard Catfish. So why not just go back to that.

Try telling fish stores that. They'd rather pretend they are C. julii than label them correctly with either the Latin or common name.

Thinking about it, C. Trilineatus was always called the Leopard Catfish. So why not just go back to that.
That was to confuse everyone even more with the mix up with C.leopardus.Yahoooooo let's simply all call them Leopard Cory. Ahhhhhhh we allready do so.

Last edited:
That was to confuse everyone even more with the mix up with C.leopardus.Yahoooooo let's simply all call them Leopard Cory. Ahhhhhhh we allready do so.

For the purist's they need to use Latin, for everyone else it doesn't really matter. They all look alike, act a like, and live in the same conditions as each other. Jullii or Leopard we know sort of what they look like.

For the purist's they need to use Latin, for everyone else it doesn't really matter. They all look alike, act a like, and live in the same conditions as each other. Jullii or Leopard we know sort of what they look like.
But don't you think it is quite stupid to give the fish the name of a fish which simply isn't found in our LFS's. Then call all of them C.trilineatus. Then you're in 99% of the cases correct.

Tri = Three and Lineatus = Line / Lined so let's use Three Line(d) Cory as common name.

They are simply not the same, don't look the same (not only to purists), have different needs, only C.trilineatus is tankbred etc.... etc.....

In this thread the OP said they had picked up some Jullii catfish, we all know they will be C. trilineatus, but someone had to correct the OP by saying these aren't Jullii Catfish, so what are they, what is the OP going to call them. If you are going to say the OP is wrong, you need to give that person an answer. Or can we only refer to that fish by its Latin name.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back