Coral and rock question

Giv

Reaction score
Hi,
I have marine aqarium with some rocks and withe corals. After some weeks they started to produce some kind gelatin (I dont know wath they are).

Some information:
My aqarium have had little light lately and Pro. skimmer has been of other then these two the filteration and airing has been good.

questions -_-
What is a reason for producing gelatin?
Can I use the same rock and corals again?
If I can use them again what should I do in adavance before put them in the thank again?

Hi Giv.

What types of corals, and could you explain "gelatin" a little better?

Doesn't sound good.

And how are the tank parameters?

GL

Hi GL,
The tank size is about 110 Galon of sea water from Persian Gulf (PG)(. I have external filter for 500 G/H and Venturi driven skimmer for same size. The Corals and rocks are also from. To be honest with you I don,t know the type of these corals but they are hard and white with branches like a three. The rock is brown/gray with a lots of holes. As I mentioned before my skimmer was off for 2 weeks a I had little light. The Gelatin is without color and smells. At the same time the sand below the coral and rock started to become brown but after removing the coral and rock the coral has gone bak to normal again.
I have an additional question how many hours pr. day should your skimmer be in operation?

thanks
Giv

I have some questions....
Did you actually get the water, sand, rock and coral from the (PG)?
Do you have any experience with Saltwater tanks?
What else is in your tank?
what are your water parameters PH, SG level, etc.?

This may sound funny but where the coral's alive when you got them?
the reason why I ask that is because when hard coral's die the turn white.
You said something about taking them out and they went back to their normal color "white". :dunno:

Hazmat

Haz, I think you may have hit on something here. :lol:

Must be a FOWL with some decorative dead corals, and the gelatin is one of the nasty algae blooms we have all seen.

We will have to hear back.

But Giv, the skimmer ALWAYS runs.

GL

Hazmat, GL,
I got everything from the PG. This is my first salt water tank but I have had several fresh water tank. The SG level is 1.025-1.026, I have not checked the PH.
In the tank I have sand and shells from PG. The corals and rocks where dead when I got them. The color of sand below (the coral and rock) as well as the coral and rocks started to change color when the gelatin (alge) started to grow.

When I removed the coral from the tank it seems that gelatin attached to it was part of coral to be able to remove it I had to washed hard and dry it under the sun and wash it again. The gelatin only covered the lower part coral and rock.
After removing the rocks and corals in addition starting the skimmer verything has gone bank to noramal again.

I have another question, is there any need for pre-tereatment of corals and rocks before putting them in the tank?

Giv

Sounds like cyanobacteria. And sounds like a pretty destructive tank set-up approach. One would presume you want an aquarium because you value sea life, and that would lead, one would hope, to an attitude aimed more at protecting the seas and life in them rather than pillaging them.

Sorry if the tone is harsh, but I have a hard time understanding why people would do this. If you have, as you say, been keeping fish for a long time, it makes it even harded to grasp.

Ostrow,
The fishs are OK, the aqarium is OK the only thing that has been effected is the coral and rocks if you can call it effected becuase the only side effect has been how they look like.
Thanks for the wise word but you should not be jugemental.

Giv

Most reactions

Back