Convict Cichlids & Tiger Barbs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

KingofthePisces

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
turns out my tank is large enough for a pair of convicts (30 gallons) im starting to prepare some caves (for some bristlenose plecostomus (and possibly convicts) anyways the ones im looking at are about 2 inches long or i might get the larger 4 inch pairs so i can breed them but i want to also get something to kull the weaker ones off or just to look pretty so i chose tiger barbs and or a red tailed shark i like to keep fish till they get to big for the tank and then i change them for something different and i was wondering do convicts make good feeder fish? i have a turtle that would like some if they are

Sorry, unsure of the compatibility question, but most small-ish fish are suitable feeders if you choose to use them as such. Make sure you gut load (feed heavily) the fish you choose as feeder prior to feeding though, to ensure they have good nutritional values. It is a waste of time using feeders that are not gut loaded IMO, as non-gut loaded feeders have minimal nutritional values.
HTH
rabbut

excellent im going to get the 4 inch convict pair so i can get large ammounts of them for my turtle he will enjoy them but still i want to keep a few so i can sell them for money so i can get a larger fish tank (gonna sell them at $10 a fish) how quick do baby convicts grow?

I checked the compatibility chart, and you SHOULD be ok. It states to use caution when putting these fish together.

Barbs have a high aggression level to begin with. I have 9 of them and they can drive the vacuum from the tank. LOL ;) They are fin nippers, so be prepared for that.

I wouldn't do the pleco though. I have a 5 in one, and he wouldn't last 30 seconds in there with mine.

If you are going to put these fish together, I would say that you should prepare yourself for the experiment not working. I'm not a huge fan putting highly aggressive species, like convicts, with fin nippers...also called the annoyance factor. LOL It might work, or you might end up without barbs. But, they would be a tasty snack. ;)

If the convicts breed they could quite likely kill the tiger barbs, the plec may stay safe if it has some where to retreat where the convicts can't get.

I had convicts and tiger barbs in the same tank and they were fine. The fry grow fast if they have the space. I think you will struggle to get that amount of money for them. Alot of LFS over here will not touch them due to the rate they breed. Ebay has a lot of people selling 5 or 6 convicts for £10. But goodluck anyway

The only time you can get $10.00 for convicts is if they are rarer strains. Marbled, calico, or pink. Even then I get $8.00 for paired breeded adult pink convicts. Unfortunatly they are just not worth to much do to how much they breed. Also fish stores will only give you 1/3 of what they sell them for, and convics go cheap. But on topic, I think the tiger barbs would live a pretty stressfull life with the convicts. Plus the tank is just large enough for a "pair" of convicts. Once they breed those tiger barbs are done for.

It's possible, has the convict been in the tank alone though? As it will start to consider the whole tank it's own and kill fish added.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back