convict cichlid stressed!

Nina7777

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hello-
as some of you may know i moved my fish from my 30 gallon to my new 55 gallon. Everyone is doing great except for my poor convict. She used to be dark black wih orange spots and finswere all dark black. Now she appears to be light light grey with clear fins. My boyfriend thinks she is stressed because the gravel in te old tank was dark blue and the new gravel is white. Could this be the problem? Should i add anything to the water to help her out? :unsure:

The complete change of environment can stress out some fish. Make sure that you provide at least one territory and retreat for it to be able to call home. In larger tanks some cover can help a lot. Otherwise it should adjust with a bit of time. In my experience there isn't much benefit to dumping chemicals into the water, though many people like to use them.

Otherwise wait for the responses of people with more experience with Convicts then I :)

I moved her "log" over from the other tank. She liked that alot in the 30 gallon and its where she hid most of the morning. She out and swimming now. Hopefully in a couple days she will be ok.

I am still curious to see what other people have to say though, as in the other tank she was a bully and never got stressed out! Guess the change of enviroment was too much for her!

Nina7777 said:
I moved her "log" over from the other tank. She liked that alot in the 30 gallon and its where she hid most of the morning. She out and swimming now. Hopefully in a couple days she will be ok.

I am still curious to see what other people have to say though, as in the other tank she was a bully and never got stressed out! Guess the change of enviroment was too much for her!
The move has perhaps been A humbling expirience for your little friend ........Not. she'll be back in form in no time .

What other cichlids did you get ?

I got one red zebra, on cobalt blue zebra, one lemon yellow, and one rusty. The rusty was soo cute, i had to get it, unfortunately It was the only one i didn't read up on and didn't know it wasn't as agressive as the rest, so i am watching them carefully. So far though everone seems to be getting along!

Most reactions

Back