Constantly Worried my New Betta is Dying...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kennedy

Reaction score
I've had my betta for almost a month now, and while I thought fish are supposed to be pretty low maintenance, I spend most of my day worrying he is sick and analyzing his every move. Is there a betta expert out there that can tell me if by looking at him, he's healthy or not? He is almost always active and hungry..those are good signs right? I have never owned a fish before Moe.

Attachments

• IMG_3820.jpg
    IMG_3820.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 348
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Your Betta looks like he is in pretty good shape. Healthy happy fish will swim around normally and they eat well. They also hold their fins out like yours.

Unhappy/ unhealthy fish usually don't eat, sit on the bottom or just under the surface, and their fins can be clamped up (squashed together) or held next to the body.

If you are ever concerned about your fish's health, do a water change. Most fish health issues are related to poor water quality so if your fish stops eating or starts sitting on the bottom, then do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a week and see how he goes. If he doesn't improve after a couple of water changes then worry. And if you have any concerns about him, just ask on here straight away. lots of people lose fish because they wait too long. You are better off asking early and getting a response of he is fine or dieing, rather than waiting.

He looks fine to me as you seem new to fish keeping ,Can you please answer the following questions? By providing the answers we can see if there are any problems with water conditions in your tank and avoid any future problems. And put your mind at ease.

How big is the tank?
Has it got a heater? What is it set to?
Has it got a filter?
How strong is the current?
Is it cycled?
How often do you change water?
How much water do you change?
Do you vacuum the substrate?
What additives or chemicals do you use? Eg De Chlorinator?
Do you use tap or bottled water? If bottled water please give us the brand.
Do you have a water test kit?
Can you tell us the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
When you clean the tank can you tell us exactly what you do.
What do you feed him? how much? how often?
Any tank mates? What sort how many?
Any plants or decorations? Please give details?
Can you provide a photo of the tank?

Most reactions

trending

Back