Consistent Brown Algae

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rcampbel04

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so ive been having an issue with algae during my cycling process. About 4-5 weeks in i noticed brown algae spreading across the glass and mainly collecting on the gravel on the bottom of the tank. It is also clouding my tank quite a bit. My nitrite and nitrate readings were through the roof for a bit, so i did a water change and completely cleaned every bit of algae. The tank WAS crystal clear and no algae to be seen! Now, after doing about a 80-90 percent water change the algae is back and worse than ever. Any help is appreciated! Heres a pic

Attachments

• rsz_algae.jpg
    rsz_algae.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 118
How long are you running your lights? Do you have live plants?

how big is your tank?  You might buy some otos when you do your stocking as they devour algae.  How many otos you get would depend on the size of your tank.

plants would help a bit with the algae and using excel carbon additive for plants would also result in lower algae.   Lights being on too long is one of the causes of algae and too much phosphate can contribute to an algae problem

I have my light on 24/7 which i now realize could contribute to the algae,,,   i have two t5 bulbs... one for plant growth and one to replicate daylight, i will keep both lights off for a good amount of the day starting now. 

Ok I suspected you may be running your lights too long. 24/7 would definitely qualify as too long :lol: You may want to look into doing a blackout for a few days in order to kill off the algae. I don't think a blackout would impact your cycle but you can post that question in the cycling section to be 100% sure.

Did about another 80 percent water change. By the way i have a 40 gallon tank. Going to keep the lights off for a bit and make sure to only run them a few hours a day

tap water can contain phosphates and nutrients that could be feeding algae when you do a big water change also get a digital timer for the lights i do 4 hours then 3 hour break then another 4
probably lights off for a few days will bring it under control

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back