Confused On A Cycle......

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

razer121

THE Triop Man XD
Reaction score
ok, my filter is able to process just under 4ppm of ammonia in 12 hours, i know its supposed to be 5ppm but then when i add my fish wouldnt the filter adjust to the light load? so heres what i would like to know, seems as my main tank can process the lower amount of ammonia, can i stop my 5ppm adding and do a week of 4ppm in between the 12 hour times, and if all gos well add my fish?? thanks!

I would think you would be fine to do a big water change and then add a small % of your final stocking. I'm no expert, but it sounds like you have good hefty colonies of the beneficial bacteria (I assume you mean that after 12 hours of dosing you have 0 ammo and 0 nitrIte).

Would probably help to indicate: Tank size, Amount of live plants, Kind of filter(s), Final stocking plan.

You dont HAVE to use 5ppm of ammonia, this is just a good guide given so that once the fishless cycle has finished you will then be able to fully stock the tank straight away.

You can fishless cycle with 1ppm if you wish but then afterwards if the fish put in created more than 1ppm worth of ammonia you would experience ammonia spikes, alternatively if you cycle with 4ppm like you have then put in fish that only create 2ppm of ammonia then the excess bacteria will slowly die off to just the right amount to handle to bioload that your fish are creating.

Basically, unless you plan on fully stocking the tank straight away then a cycle using 5ppm of ammonia is not needed, 4ppm will be fine

Andy

ok i have a 60 litre tank, it has fair amount of plants and a fluval plus 2 filter, of course i have a couple of temp tanks so i can always take the fish out if all gos wrong, anyway heres the fish that are going into the tank,

1x betta 1 and a half inch in size
1x guppy
1x ballon molly
3x neons
1x albino catfish*

so out of them, id like to add only the amount that would give of a bio load which my filter can handle,

*im unsure what he is but i know hes an albino something, just he looks like a catfish, about 1 inch in size!

Thanks for providing the info. Again, I'm no expert, but here are my thoughts:

Guessing your cat is an albino corydoras. Try googling that and see if the image matches.
Cories and neons are both schooling fish -- believe having 6 is the recommended minimum.
You might want to consider adjusting your stock to something like: 1 betta, 6 neons, 6 cories
Here's an article from another forum with some good suggestions for smaller tanks: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97203

Regarding the cycling, if you do decide to go for 6 neons I *think* you could add those first (after doing a big WC). I cycled a slightly larger tank with 5 zebra danios and never saw the ammo and nitrite get above 0.5

Good luck!

If you mean you are using the filter that is processing 4ppm of ammonia in 12 hours then you could put all them fish in straight away.

I'd be surprised if them fish even created 1ppm of ammonia between them, they are all fairly light waste fish.

I wouldn't recommend the betta in a community tank but it depends on its personality

Andy

If your filter is processing 4ppm in 12 hours, you should be fine to fully stock the tank with the list you posted. They won't create enough waste for overload your filter.

I know you didn't ask about it but I feel I need to mention it. The betta is quite likely going to end up killing the guppy. Bettas usually see the ornate tail of a gupy as another betta and attack them. Also, the albino catfish is most likely a cory. They prefer to be kept in groups of at least 3 and preferably 5 or 6, Same goes for the neons.

thanks for the replys, i have a very laid back betta, i can barly get him to flare at a mirror lol, he orignaly use to live with the guppy so im guessing there shouldnt be a problem but i still have my temp tanks which yes are cycled! but they are only 32litre tanks and i want to move the fish to the front room in the 60litre tank

there used to be more neons...but a zebra danio took them out, i ended up taking him back to the shop he was so aggressive....

yes he is a albina corydoras! thanks man ive been wondering what he is since i got him,

i have one last thing i need to ask, should i do a final week of tests?

I would recommend a final week of test, (might as well stay at 5ppm for the duration, but don't worry if its not all gone), just to make sure everything is nice and stable.
Then do a large water change, and you wioll be able to put in all of those fish.
I would however also recommend increasing the number of neons and the number of corys inorder to keep them all happy. You could do this at the same time so that the filter does not 'drop back' to your current stocking, and then have to build back up again once the new fish go in.

I have not kept a betta, but from what I have read I would be cautious with the Betta and a male guppy, (especially if it is a 'fancy' male), as said above, the Betta may kill it. Also You may find that your Neons nip the Betta, but I'm unsure on that one. :)

thanks for the concern, this is it though my betta is very laid back, he is very nosey but minds his own bis! he has been living with the neons for a while now and they dont nip him, or even go near him to be honest, the male guppy was somenthing i was worried about when i first got my male guppy (lfs told me he would be fine and such so had no idea) anyway turns out they got on fine, odd huh? still if any problems come, i will have the 32litre to take one out, thanks for the replys guys, will be doing it all on sat morning :) i cant wait!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back