Confused now

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AmberC

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Ok so I just read two different sites.. one said to NOT put salt because it prevents the goldfish from properly taking in oxygen because the fish already has a high salt content to its body so needs freshwater to help get oxygen. Another site said that they NEED the salt to take in air.

So should you put salt in a goldfish tank or not? As far as I understood (before researching) you were supposed to use salt with goldfish.

I have never kept coldwater fish (or goldfish.) I have a friend whose teacher was giving out goldfish to the students that wanted them. Her son is 9 or so. They dont know ANYTHING about fish. I explained to my friend that goldfish get BIG and cannot be kept in a small tank. She got a tank. I dont know what size. I'm thinking a 5-10 for right now and she said shed keep him there until it gets bigger. I dont want to 'tell' her what to buy. She didn't bring me when she went shopping. I am going to go over to help them do a water change. (They haven't done one in two weeks :/ and she asked me to come show her son how to do it, so I will be able to get the stats of the tank and fish when I go over.) I'll probably need some help identifing the type of goldfish. I'm thinking its just a common one. (Like the feeders) So if someone could just answer the salt question for me for now I'd really appreciate it. Thanks :D
PS: I am going to be working on her to get a bigger tank ASAP. I'll be printing out info for her and stuff lol

Goldfish do not need salt in their tank. It can be beneficial to treat stress and disease and I know many people use it for that, so I can't imagine there being any bad effects of it.

Well done in trying to help someone look after their fish. Very comendable. :clap:

Ok well I didn't put any salt.. but... I dont have good news. My friends son is really attached to "Bob" the goldfish. It just looks like a reg feeder goldfish to me, so just a common one right? Anyways. Tank size. 3 gallons. :X I explained to Aaron (my friends son) that his fish is going to get BIG. Like about 15 inches or so (correct?) And that keeping it (even at the size its at now) in the 3 gallon tank is not healthy for the fish. I explained to him how the fish is being stunted and that it will stress the fish and kill it. I told him what I thought would be the best thing to do for the fish. Which would be to trade it in at our LFS (I know the owner) for a betta. Its a nice little tank with undergravel filter system. He doesn't seem too keen on the idea. He really loves his fish. I offered for him to come to my house and see my 6 bettas. I offered for him to also come to the lfs with me tonight to look at the other bettas. Dont think hes going to come tho. He has a friend with a big tank. All their fish died, so hes going to see what size it is and if its big enough he's going to give it to his friend so he can at least still see it. So obviously he wants to do whats best for the fish. He wants me to take it lol.. but I explained it wouldn't do well in my tank due to the fact that my tanks are all tropical. Hes just waiting to hear back from his friend. I told him even if he goes with me he doesn't have to do anything tonight.

The tank was in rough shape when I got there. Algae growing on plastic deco, gravel had NOT been cleaned before put in the tank. My hand was BLUE after I cleaned the rocks lol. I just took the whole tank apart and cleaned everything since it had not been done when the tank was set up. Took out the gravel and rinsed it in my bucket. Scrubbed the tank, scrubbed the deco everything. Rinsed the filter. I explained to Aaron that he need NOT do this every time. They dont have a syphon yet so I told him I would help him the next time too to clean the tank and then when they get the syphon I'll help show him how to do it. I told him he needs to clean the tank at least once a week. (Its been two since they set it up..) It was funny because my friend said that the filter sounded MUCH better after it was clean and set back up lol. I felt bad leaving the fish in that 3 gal. The fish is about 3 inches right now, but it just didn't look like it had enough room in that tank. YK? Anyways thanks for your help :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back