Compatible fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yeaulman

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey all, I am a newbie to this hobby (a month or so) and I am just wondering what fish are compatible with black moor and calico fan tails. I want something different other than gold fish. My tank is 20 gallons and has live plants. I am planning on buying a bigger tank in about 3 months after I am done my post secondary school.

Any help is appreciated
Martin :D

Checking out your profile I would say that you tank is way overstocked now.
Wait untill you have the larger tank you will need at least 50 gal for what you currently have

How big will the new tank be and what will is the stock that will be moving into it?

I wouldn't choose any fast moving more robust mid-water to surface fish that will out-compete the fancies for food and stress them so why not try some bottom dwellers like Garra pingi pingi, Weather Loaches or Stone Loaches. :)

I am not thinking of getting new fish any time soon, but when I do get a new tank its going to be at least 170 gallons. And as for the fish I have right now, I they are only 1 to 1.5" long each

Please I urge you to read this Pinned topic
Your fish maybe small now but they will grow and quickly

We just want to help you and you fish, so that you both can have many years enjoyment together

170 gallons is alot of space to work with but the fantails limit your options as they are not to compatible, in a tank of that size though you could get away with the above mentioned fish and Sticklebacks and maybe a shoal of minnows.

I thought I was saving them from the pet store... they must have had like 20 fan tails and 10 black moors in the same size tank as me. I thought I was giving them lots of room for the next 2 months.... wont this be safice for 2 months?

I think a couple of months will be fine, maybe three at the most.
the lfs's have very suffisticated filtering systems so they can fill their tanks, also bear in mind that they turnover their stock quickly.

They also said that if my fish get too big for my liking, they have an exchange program for them. I bring in my old fish and they will sell them for me and I take home new smaller ones.... I kinda liked that idea

most will but you won't get anywhere the price they sell them for, just keep that in mind.

Man I so want a 100+ tank :(

Well I have one last question. Since the tank I want is so large and is going to be HEAVY!!! Should I make some sort of bracing under the floor out of metal tubing that will be placed on the cement in the basement? I dont want a warped floor and I dont want it crashing through the floor. Has anyone done this or known of someone doing this?

Yeaulman said:
Well I have one last question. Since the tank I want is so large and is going to be HEAVY!!! Should I make some sort of bracing under the floor out of metal tubing that will be placed on the cement in the basement? I dont want a warped floor and I dont want it crashing through the floor. Has anyone done this or known of someone doing this?
If it a cement floor then you shouldn't need bracing.
If the tank is an all glass tank (i.e. no frame of any kind) then you will need some polystyrene under the tank to spread the pressure.
good luck!

This tank is going to be on the main floor with hard wood flooring... I was thinking of putting the bracing in the basement to the main floor joists to support weight.

Yeaulman said:
This tank is going to be on the main floor with hard wood flooring... I was thinking of putting the bracing in the basement to the main floor joists to support weight.
I think that would be a very good idea
when you know the dimensions and what type of substrate you are going to use i'l pm you a good link that works out the exact weight for you

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back