Compatibility Issues?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

krosebush

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new to saltwater but I have researching a lot and would like some advice from some people with experience. So here goes, I have a 55 gallon tank, SeaClone 100 skimmer, and I will have PC lighting with 384 watts will I have any issues with these inverts:

Soft
Medusa coral
Kenya tree coral
Colt coral
Xenia coral
Fiji yellow leather coral

Mushrooms, Buttons, Zooanthids
Blue zoos
Fiji polyps
Flame polyps
Green star polyps
Yellow polyps
Purple mushroom
Hairy mushroom
Striped mushroom
Red mushroom
Green button
Purple plume sea fan

Hard
Hammer coral
Fox coral
Open brain coral
Plate coral
Torch coral

Thanks!

Soft
Medusa coral - Fine
Kenya tree coral - Fine
Colt coral - Fine
Xenia coral - Weed but Fine :p
Fiji yellow leather coral - Not as hardy as browns so be sure the water quality is up to scratch ;)

Mushrooms, Buttons, Zooanthids
Blue zoos - Fine
Fiji polyps - Fine
Flame polyps - Fine
Green star polyps - Fine (hates Phosphates though and does well with Iodine supplements)
Yellow polyps - Fine
Purple mushroom - Fine
Hairy mushroom - Fine
Striped mushroom - Fine
Red mushroom - Fine
Green button - Fine
Purple plume sea fan - If you mean a Gorgonian then there are two types, one needs light which is fine, the other needs target feeding with Phyto, etc. which is not for the beginner and plays havoc with water quality

Hard
Hammer coral - Fine but has very potent stinging sweepers so can't be near another coral (hates Nitrates and Phosphates)
Fox coral - Fine
Open brain coral - Fine but has stinging sweepers so can't be too near another coral
Plate coral - Bit vague, have you got any latin names?
Torch coral - Fine but has stinging sweepers so can't be too near another coral (hates Nitrates and Phosphates)

Obviously you wouldn't be able to add all these at once, it would take months and months but the finished tank would look awesome :thumbs:

HTH

When you say that something cannot be placed near other corals, does that mean zooanthids, mushrooms, etc.?

The stinging sweeper tentacles of some corals will kill other corals therefore putting them in close proximity will cause competion for space and food. Ultimately the strongest sting will win.

I suggest if you're wanting to keep corals that you get a good book as understanding corals can tell you a lot about the state of your water, etc. as well as helping you keep the corals in prime condition. The coral 'bible' according to most is 'Aquarium Corals by Eric H Borneman' and is well worth the price.

I am already a proud owner of that book! :p I really enjoy it and have been reading it like crazy. I just thought I'd ask around to see if anyone else had any other points of view. I really appreciate your help! :thumbs:

Well it's only the hard corals you're going to have issues with really, everything else on your list will happily bunch up together (with the exception of the Zooanthids).

Most reactions

trending

Back