Compatability: Amano And Red Cherry Shrimp

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Elrohirthehasty

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all, 

I've been away from the forums for a long time, so it's nice to be back.  I'll be to the point tho:

I've just converted my 10g tank to an invert tank.  I have some serpae tetras and some other random fish in there before and two amano shrimp that were quite happy.  I took out all the fish and moved them to my other tank with the intent of buying more shrimps.  Since I want to breed, and since my tank is on the warmer side (~80F), I figured some red cherries would be best.  Today, I bought 5.  Are there any compatibility issues with the RCS and the Amanos?  

Since they are from different genera, they shouldn't cross breed.  My only slight worry is the the new RCS are quite young and small.

Anyway, I'm assuming there aren't really any major red flags, and all 7 (5 RCS + 2 Amano) are living together now for a few hours no problems.  Just wanted to check, thanks...

Amanos are bigger and more aggressive, they might get to any food dropped in quicker than the RCS and defend it. That as a general rule.

You should be ok though, there are only 2 amanos and if you add an algae wafer (single piece that the amanos might take over) you can always break it up.

I wouldn't worry too much, jut keep an eye on them to start with and if you see everything is ok just leave them.

I had two amano's in with my cherrys. And my cherrys wouldent breed. That is they kept dropping the eggs. Ive since moved the amano's to my 33gallon. Now my cherries are all in berry and are about a week away from hatching. My tank was only 28l though. So with a bigger tank you may be ok. This is just my experience. Amano's are a bit bullish at feeding time.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back