Common thing to happen or was I lucky?

basstracker_v16

Reaction score
Hi all

I had gotten pretty busy last week with buisness and all, kept up my twice a day
feeding of my guys, but had failed to do any water changes.

This must of been 7 to 10 days, first time I went that long with a water change.
I normally would do one every 3 days. I have those 1/2g betta kits for each
betta.

Well, out of couriosity I tested my two tanks. I had 0 readings across the board.
No ammo, trites or trates. Some of the graval was getting algee along with a rock
and mini decoration I have. They were happy as can be, bubble nests, eating like
mad dogs.

Now Im not sure, but befor I had a live plant in each tank, I would do water tests b4
each water change, I did notice some ammo readings. However, about 2 weeks b4 this event I mentioned above, I removed the plants and put fake ones in, they were
dieing anyways.

How long have some of you gone with out doing water changes?? Was I changing it too often??

Thanks!

Mine always seem happy colourfull and bubble nested up, and i change half the water every week or so :) I have plastic plants in most tanks, live in a few others.

My readings stay clear for up to 10 days, which is the longest i have left them before

Better to do it too many times than too few... but I think a lot of people are overly paranoid about it. I'd probably do my fish more harm by trying to micromanage their water rather than letting nature do some of the work. Although with only 1/2g jars you probably shouldn't go much longer than 10 days if you can help it.

i used to never do water changes.. when i was younger... fish would live for awhile...

but now.. in my big tanks at least... water evaporates pretty quick... every week they get about 3 new litres of water.. well the 20 gallon does... the 10s get 2 litres every week..... its getting hotter out here so the water evaporates pretty fast

but i did have a krib die which makes me wonder... ill have to test the tanks.. havent tested them in months

Most reactions

Back