Coconut half shells and Bettas

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

6681225A-034A-41EF-BAFE-5C00615A92AE.jpeg
6681225A-034A-41EF-BAFE-5C00615A92AE.jpeg

Iā€™ve been extremely busy. I managed to download one photo as you can see. I canā€™t seem to be able to upload/download anything else.
What Clarence does is swim a little, rest and his dorsal fin falls over to one side and he leans towards the side the dorsal fin has flipped over.
I have a wide variety of food. Yesterday I gave him Fluval insect bites and he ate some. There is food residue in the stratum which today Iā€™m going to siphon up and do a partial water change as per your directions. The water ammonia according to my test strips is still between 0 and 0.5. Iā€™m waiting for the big kit to arrive tomorrow.
He doesnā€™t seem scared of me. But just not happy.
Iā€™m sorry about the photos. I have a friend coming tomorrow who knows about computers Iā€™ll ask him to upload the video and more photos. Iā€™m sorry Iā€™m useless at computer/internet stuff.

I managed to upload the photos. As you can see he is leaning on his side when he stops swimming which is 90% of the time.

Attachments

• A77629EE-E69E-4B6B-9839-EC9DD5A3D653.jpeg
    A77629EE-E69E-4B6B-9839-EC9DD5A3D653.jpeg
    219.6 KB · Views: 185
  • 43B92B29-CABA-40B4-8A56-88F181FEB81D.jpeg
    43B92B29-CABA-40B4-8A56-88F181FEB81D.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 171
  • 5F0FACF6-AEA8-469A-9398-CE8C491004DD.jpeg
    5F0FACF6-AEA8-469A-9398-CE8C491004DD.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 182
Upload the video to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here. We can view it at YouTube.

If images are too big, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and the pictures will be smaller and should fit on here.

The fish doesn't appear to have any signs of external disease so it leaves us with a water quality issue or an internal problem. If he is still eating then it's probably water quality.
Just do daily water changes and gravel cleans and see how things go over the next week.

thank you
I'll see if my friend can download the video on to youtube. I can't make the resolution of my iphone any less, again I'll ask him, maybe he knows.
If the water is bad, then why isn't the other Betta suffering?
Could this be from being closed up in a plastic container for a long time at Petsmart? Clarence has been with me just over a week, maybe he wasn't doing that well from the start and I just didn't notice.
I will continue to check water (when big proper kit arrives tomorrow) and change the water when I can
I just pray he makes it
thank you again

If the water is bad, then why isn't the other Betta suffering?
Could this be from being closed up in a plastic container for a long time at Petsmart?
All fish are individuals, just like people and animals. Some are genetically stronger than others and tolerate conditions better than others.

The new fish could have spent more time in poor water at the shop or breeder and is weaker due to that.

It might not have received as much food as other fish.

The fish could also be suffering from stress due to water chemistry changes over the last week or so. The fish might have only just arrived at the shop shortly before you bought it and it might have been in different water at the shop and is in different water in your tank. All these factors add up and contribute to a weaker fish.

The following link has information about what happens to aquarium fish when they are shipped from fish farms to the pet shop. The fish go through a lot of stress and are exposed to lots of different water conditions during that time.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/fish-importing-from-the-farm-to-the-home.451553/#post-3813924

The best thing for all fish is clean water, clean tank, and clean filter.
Do water changes, gravel cleans, make sure the filters are clean, offer a variety of food and feed him 3-5 times a day to try and build him up physically. Fish that are well fed have more reserves to fight off diseases. A month after he has recovered, you can reduce his feeding to once or twice a day and reduce water changes.

happy to report that Clarence is almost another fish! He loves his living leaves floating on top. I feed him at least 5 x a day, his colors even look better - thank you so much!

I'm having big worries with Fenella, I'll start another thread for that

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_6f0d.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_6f0d.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 169

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back