Cockatoo Cichlid..?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sjcneedshelp321

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Im considering getting a cockatoo cichlid.. are they aggressive? i have a 190 litre tank with the fish in my sig. does anyone know if they will get on? Cheers

SJC

Cockatoos are generally pretty well behaved. The females will vigorously defend the nesting site and her fry but you have plenty of room in your tank so I don't see a problem. They should get along well with all of the fish you mentioned. The only one I would be concerned about is the Ram but from reading other posts they seem to be able to coexist as long as there is enough room. They do best with 2 females to 1 male. Great fish, I highly recommend them.

I keep them with rams and haven't had a problem as yet, give them plenty of caves to feel safe and keep trios as already mentioned. Upturned flower pots with small entrances cut in them work well for caves.

Your LFS should be able to get them in, don't think they are rare fish at all.

Perhaps you could look around for a club in your area and see if there are any hobbyists near you that breed them. Look for young fish. I have seen some older ones on occasion but I would advise staying clear of them. Most Apistos only live for 2 1/2 to three years. Good luck in your search!

Perhaps you could look around for a club in your area and see if there are any hobbyists near you that breed them. Look for young fish. I have seen some older ones on occasion but I would advise staying clear of them. Most Apistos only live for 2 1/2 to three years. Good luck in your search!

Ok cheers thanks for the advice.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back