CO2 Systems

Barday

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all,

I use the hagen Co2 system in my tank. So far I'm using the activator & buffer that came with the system, but I will be moiving to yeast & bicarb once it runs out.

Anyway, from what I hear, the reason the yeast dosen't last in the canister is because the mix turns acidic over time, killing the yeast. Well would adding PH Up to the container every week, make it last longer?? :dunno:

It is not just pH that changes. The yeast metabolise the sugar to form alchohol, (beer and wine are made in much the same way), the build up of their own waste products kills off the yeast cells.

Certain strains of yeast are more robust then others.

It does stink of alcohol when you change the yeast, not an altogether unpleasent smell though! :p

:lol:

If you take the finished bottle of yeast and boil it, then allow the vapor to condense and drip into a bottle, you'll get 99.99% alcohol. Happy drinking!

I can't imagine the contents would taste particulaly good, but assuming there has been no tank water drawn into the reactor, it shouldn't be particulaly harmful. Be aware that when brewers etc., make beer and wine, the equipment is sterilised to prevent bacteria growing in the "mash" as well - the most common bacteria converts the alchohol to ethanoic acid, (vinegar), which spoils the taste.

There is one of many home brew/wine starter guides here. Like fishkeeping, don't expect your first attempt to turn out a prize winning claret.

You may all laugh, but someone on another forum during holidays uses jugs of Apple Cider and makes hard Apple Cider w/ his CO2 system. :)

Most reactions

Back