CO2 convertor for disposable cylinders

cjking

Reaction score
I'm setting up my first tank with bottled CO2, but I think I've gone and bought the wrong equipment. I've bought a Dupla CO2 Set delta which connects to a (not included) refillable cylinder, however I've now worked out that disposable cylinders are likely to be much cheaper to run.

Can anyone tell me where I can get a convertor that will let me use my equipment with disposable cylinders?

The dupla equipment can be seen at their site

(Note: I'm in the UK, so I need something that conforms to European rather than US standards.)

I'm a bit confused. On the Dupla site, it says that the Dupla CO2 Set Delta (the one you bought) comes with a Dupla Depot of aluminum. That is the canister of CO2. Did it not come with your set?

depots1.jpg

Edited to add: I would personally go with a refillable canister. It will be much cheaper in the end. Several other UK members have expressed concerns over the non-refillable canisters. Canister refills are very cheap (less than $10 US), and they should last several months. Those non-refillable canisters cost less than the actual refillable kind, but you'll spend a bundle each time it needs to be replaced.

The shops in the UK seem to sell the set without the cylinder, though you can buy the cylinder separately.

I've been quoted £44 per year for rental of a 10Kg (22 pound) cylinder plus £19 for each refill. (I assume a refill will last several years.)

Alternatively, I could buy the Dupla 1.5Kg bottle for £79, I would guess a refill would still cost something like £19.

I can get 1kg disposable bottles for just over £8.

I calculate the break-even at which the rental option becomes cheaper than disposable cylinders is if I use more than 7kg per year. I don't really know, but I assume my 260 litre (75 US gallon) tank will use a lot less than that.

I see you quote $10 for refills in the US - would any UK visitors like to give examples of prices for small bottles? If I could refill 1.5Kg for £12 in London the gas would be costing the same as disposables, and the refillable option would be more expensive only by a one-off cost of about £79-£15 = £64, where £15 is my guess at how much a convertor would cost. Of course the disposables would also be more convenient - the gas place I got a quote from is only open at times I'm at work, disposables could be delivered in bulk to me at work by courier.

Refill prices are based on amount. So if a 10KG bottle costs 19 then 1KG would cost 1.9 roughly meaning it should be less than 4 to refill the 1.5KG bottle.

I've seen people in US forums say refills cost the same regardless of bottle size, I assumed the same applied in the UK. I thought it made sense, since you are mostly paying for the service, the cost of gas compared to labour must be small.

Where do you get your gas, what size bottle do you fill and how much does it cost?

Perhaps someone in the UK will respond and help you. The products here may be much different. The prices will vary as well. Good luck.

If you are still after an adapter so you can use gauges designed for refillable bottles with disposable try the adapters sold by Anglia Aquatics. I use a set of JBL gauges with the adapter with no probs - just make sure you use PTFE tape and check for a good seal.

Good luck!

Andy

I'm in the middle of setting up a bottled CO2 system at the moment.

I have a small canister that I use to clean dust out of electronics etc.
It goes by the name of 'Sodastream' B) . I got mine from a local home brew shop ;)

I've now just got to get it refilled and I'm away. (this post made me drop everything and go and do it mid post - just got back)
the refill cost me £4.49

right - it's well and truely a DIY system :)
I use a radiator valve to adjust the flow into the tank :D

very neat and tidy :nod: the bottle is only about 12" long and about 2" round.

[edit] - its a 1.2kg bottle and apparently holds 250g of CO2

Most reactions

Back