Co2 Canister Position

s007

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Can the presurized co2 canister be kept horizontally? or is it has to be vertically as i dont seem to have a stand to place that 500g canister. Any suggestions? By the way do have to chan it or somth as in emergency i dont want it to fly off not that i have heard of such cases.

Serg
Thanks

I am not too sure that it would be a good idea to have it horizontal or not. All I know is when I shoot my paintball gun, it has a Co2 tank on it that is kept horizontal.

But there is liquid inside the Co2 tanks, at least there is in my paintball gun, and I have a special device that stops that liquid form entering the gun. So I don't think you want that liquid entering your fish tank.

But you should defiantly chain it down. Depending on the size of your Co2 tank, if the top were to come off somehow, it could shoot around your house, which would not be good; very dangerous. :no:

-FHM

You could try to post this in the "Plants Section" to get more advice. :good:

Or a Mod might move it over there for you.

-FHM

-FHM

Thanks mate for your reply, after reading your comment ive taken out one shelf from my left cabinet and placed 2 screws on the back cabinet wall and just hang it verticaly on them, i dont think i can chain it inside of cabinet but as its inside behind closed dor it shuld be fine.

Thanks

-FHM

Thanks mate for your reply, after reading your comment ive taken out one shelf from my left cabinet and placed 2 screws on the back cabinet wall and just hang it verticaly on them, i dont think i can chain it inside of cabinet but as its inside behind closed dor it shuld be fine.

Thanks
Good job. :good:

Sounds good man!
-FHM

There is nothing plant forum about a pressure bottle. You have a bottle filled most of the way with liquid CO2 and there is a space at the top of the bottle where there is gaseous CO2. As long as the valve on the top of the bottle is in the gas space, things will be OK. If you start pulling liquid from the bottle, it will expand enormously as it goes through the pressure regulator and the pressure drops. It will basically be boiling off into a gas as the pressure drops. The regulator has large passages in it that are meant to handle the fluid in a gas form so they are way too big to properly control the liquid CO2. You are correct that a CO2 pressure bottle can make a nasty rocket if the top valve gets damaged or knocked off. To prevent that problem, I have 2 hooks screwed into my tank stand. I place the bottle vertically next to the base of my tank stand and wrap a piece of chain around the bottle about 2/3 of the way up from the bottom. The chain rests around the bottle to restrain it and prevent it from moving much at all. In that position there is no chance of the bottle falling over and damaging the valve. When it is time to change the bottle, I lift one end of the chain from its hook and lift the bottle out to take to the welding shop for a refill. In fact, I did just that today.
End result is the bottle is vertical as intended and is restrained so that it is safe to have in my home. I refused to connect the bottle at all until I had the chain restraint in place the first time I got a bottle of gas. It laid on its side in a box so it couldn't roll around until I got the chain and hooks set up to hold it safely vertical. After it is tied off in the vertical, I connect my solenoid and regulator. If I can't get it tied down, it can't be in my home. If you don't consider safety first, you don't get to be an old man.

OM47, I don't know about anyone else, but that was enlightening for -me-! For years I've seen those big commercial tanks chained with big chains but not really thought about it and likewise have noticed how the delivery trucks have the big tanks always sitting vertical inside angle-iron cages. Now those observations have suddenly come together with other bits I'd heard to start to really make sense!

By the way, here's my one tidbit that might be a good addition to what you've already said: One planted tank enthusiast once told me, in conversation, that even the trip home in the car from having the bottle refilled can be an area where its better to practice safety. Some people just hope the tank will stay still in their car trunk (ok you UKers, boot!) and that the trunk itself would protect them, but what this person did was place the tank upright in the center of the back seat and used bungee cords to tie it off to the headrests, so that it will stay vertical and not be able to move much. Its probably not quite as dangerous at this point because the regulator is not on, but a little extra safety can never hurt!

OM47, are your cabinet hooks the type that completely capture the chain? It makes so much more sense, once you add verticality because of liquid, to the list of safety considerations. I suppose the industries that use bottled gases must have some standards for the chain strenth too, right? Have you ever checked that out?

S007, I would give it some thought - I really don't think the flimsy door of a fishtank cabinet would hold back the fury of one of these things unleashed. Its like everything else though, once you put your head to the problem, you may find you can resolve the problems it presents in a stepwise fashion and come up with some true safety!

~~waterdrop~~

OM47, I don't know about anyone else, but that was enlightening for -me-! For years I've seen those big commercial tanks chained with big chains but not really thought about it and likewise have noticed how the delivery trucks have the big tanks always sitting vertical inside angle-iron cages. Now those observations have suddenly come together with other bits I'd heard to start to really make sense!

By the way, here's my one tidbit that might be a good addition to what you've already said: One planted tank enthusiast once told me, in conversation, that even the trip home in the car from having the bottle refilled can be an area where its better to practice safety. Some people just hope the tank will stay still in their car trunk (ok you UKers, boot!) and that the trunk itself would protect them, but what this person did was place the tank upright in the center of the back seat and used bungee cords to tie it off to the headrests, so that it will stay vertical and not be able to move much. Its probably not quite as dangerous at this point because the regulator is not on, but a little extra safety can never hurt!

OM47, are your cabinet hooks the type that completely capture the chain? It makes so much more sense, once you add verticality because of liquid, to the list of safety considerations. I suppose the industries that use bottled gases must have some standards for the chain strenth too, right? Have you ever checked that out?

S007, I would give it some thought - I really don't think the flimsy door of a fishtank cabinet would hold back the fury of one of these things unleashed. Its like everything else though, once you put your head to the problem, you may find you can resolve the problems it presents in a stepwise fashion and come up with some true safety!

~~waterdrop~~

I guess you learn something everyday...lol.

At the shop where we have a lot of welders(wire-feed, Oxyacetylene, MIG welding, and TIG welding), all use gas, and all of our gas tanks are chained off to metal frames that are bolted into the wall, or on very heavy carts, so we can roll the welder around the shop.

You have to be VERY CAREFUL when dealing with pressurized gas, and the transportation of pressurized gas. The tank is under extreme pressure, and if there was a sudden leak, that could be disastrous.

Safety first! :good:
-FHM

Guys you are really scaring me. BRB off to the DIY shop to ges some chain...
LOL

If you just take your time, do what we said...chaining it down and all.

You will be just fine! :good:

I have been around pressurized tanks at the shop for YEARS, and I have yet to see anything happen.

These tanks are designed to be safe, and they are.

-FHM

When the tanks are properly restrained they are safe to be around. A little 10 pound tank like I use only weighs about 15 or 20 pounds when full so the chain doesn't need to be very strong to keep it from falling over. I lay the tank between the back seat and the driver's seat while bringing a tank home because it gives the tank no chance to roll around. If I stuck it in the trunk, it would bounce all around and I really don't want that. A broken tank valve would have that tank coming right through the back seat to get me. I would much rather have it so that it can't move around, even if it means being closer to me.

OK seemd to be chained to the tanks satnd back wall. by looking at it if there any chance of top valve comming off it will take my stand appart. The main thing is to keep it in possition it is and not to let it fall down not that ive heard stories of valves comming off by themselves lol

Cheers OM47 & fatheadminnow for great support and stories, always nice to read somth new.

Serg

When the tanks are properly restrained they are safe to be around. A little 10 pound tank like I use only weighs about 15 or 20 pounds when full so the chain doesn't need to be very strong to keep it from falling over. I lay the tank between the back seat and the driver's seat while bringing a tank home because it gives the tank no chance to roll around. If I stuck it in the trunk, it would bounce all around and I really don't want that. A broken tank valve would have that tank coming right through the back seat to get me. I would much rather have it so that it can't move around, even if it means being closer to me.
I would have expected no less! ;)

Sorry Dave, I don't mean the plant folks don't have and use pressurized. Even I go that far and I am not much of a plant person. I meant that the OP's question about laying a tank on its side need not go there. It is a simple question to answer based on the principles involved. When I follow your links hoping to learn more, I do not find a clear answer to that question.

Most reactions

Back