Clownfish Swimming Upright

petecrab

Reaction score
Is it usual for a clown to keep swimming up and never swimming down, he is sometimes almost in a vertical position and doesnt seem to be able to swim down?!

Mine love to do this too, just swimming in a corner of the tank against the current. It seems to be a common way they pass the time. It's pretty much all I see them do, swimming in a corner of a tank, that or eating.

I dont have a coral for them to house so I'm betting they are getting pretty bored in there.

Anyways it seems to be a natural habbit, they dont really have the best equipment for expert swimming, they jsut seem to wobble thier way around. I guess thats what makes them so cute.

Clownfish are amazing swimmers and great entertainers. IMO, they can confuse as easily as clown loaches which look dead when at rest. SH

Yup, mine does this. Every night, he "sleeps" doing a headstand in the front right corner of the tank. The first night home, he slept on his side right next to my filter intake tube. I thought for sure he was dying and even tried to scoop him out so he wouldn't die and cause my tank to crash. That was a year ago and he still swims erratically and loves to do headstands :wub:

do yours have a problem with eating? both mine dont seem to be that hungary and when i put the bineshrimp in they dont eat it, it just floats around but in morning its gone, im guessing they must have had some.... what else do they like to eat?

my male maroon does the headstand ish too, kinda funny. :nod: They also eat once or twice a day, they are always hungry :lol:
I feed my clowns all kinds of stuff. I throw frozen cyclopeze (sp?) in once or twice a week and give them various frozen meaty foods, and the current dry foods i feed them are Formula Two Marine Pellets, Nutrafin Max Marine Complete Food, and TetraMarineColor Marine flakes.

do yours have a problem with eating? both mine dont seem to be that hungary and when i put the bineshrimp in they dont eat it, it just floats around but in morning its gone, im guessing they must have had some.... what else do they like to eat?
Not really... Mine eats like crazy. I feed OSI flakes (for FW and SW), freeze dried brine shrimp and frozen cyclopeze. He's greedy and will eat anything. I used to feed him twice a day when I first got him b/c he was SO small, but now I just feed the tank once every 2-3 days.

There is def something up, he isnt eating much at all, he is doing a headstand pretty much all the time and doing a very odd poo, its really stringy and just keeps going?!

WOuld the fact that they are the first fish in my new tank have anything to do with it, all the levels are fine though

Stringy poo *can* be a sign of something wrong, but sometimes my clown gets that too.... ...and headstanding is definitely better than just floating or drifting with the current of the tank.

you think that is weird I have a skunk clown i've had for two years..all he does is sort of swim in circles on his side on suface of my tank..he gets from side to side in the tank..but it is really funny I thought he was dead many times..but it is really funny

Definitely get some Brine Shrimp Plus by Formula Foods. Theres TONS of stuff in there, algae, shrimp, squid, fish, my fish love it! It is also color enhancing and therefore, very nutritious.

Hey,

The problem you may be having is that the shrimp are too big for their mouths, when I first got mine the only thing they would eat was new life specturm small fish formula. They love the stuff and eat it up. As for head stands mine will "lay" on top of the heater at night.

Most reactions

Back