Clown Loaches -- please help quick

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

trout_pout

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
white sprinkles all over their bodies, I have read about putting them in an ice cream tub of water + table salt.
Is this true, and if so please tell me how long to leave him + them in there for
it is getting spread throuhg all my loaches and i'm beginning to think that it will hit my severum and my other important fishies.
Reply quick please!!!
I noticed on them yesterday but only mild, i put some treatment in but they are much worse now. Too late to rise temp/

Don't put them in salt, they will not tolerate it!
What treatment are you using? Raise your temp gradually to 30, its not too late, the heat will speed up the whitespot. Have you removed the carbon from your filter? You will need to otherwise it will just take the meds out of the water.

Also read instruction on the packet as with clown loaches sometimes you have to half the dose, don't add salt they are scaless fish, good luck.

In the mean time, if I were you, I would keep the temp up and do massive water changes daily. Like 40-50% providing you have lots of plants, decor, filter media in your take that hold beneficial bacteria.

Clown loach are very prone to Whitespot, this is quite common. Definately forget the salt as they are scalesless fish, increase the temp, use some whitespot med following the instructions and clean the gravel regularly. Don't overdo the water changes as you'll reduce the effect of the medication. I has the same problem when i had clown loach and it took 3 weeks to completely get rid of it but they all survived.

We have had great sucess with the EsHA whitespot treatment (fully dosing our tank - the clowns are fine).

Im currently having problems with white spot on both my clown loach. One of them looks particuarly sick, lying down for very long periods on its side and gasping. I've raised the temperature in the tank and have used an anti-white spot treatment but I have a couple of questions....

If the clown loach is lying around looking extremely sickly is it likely to recover? I've no experience of white spot so Im not sure how the infection works. Will the fish be suffering un-duly if its in this state?

Someone suggested doing more water changes but I'd like to know how this affects dosing etc. If youre doing water changes will this affect the treatment? and will it be necessary to re-treat the water more reguarly. I think the treatment Im using suggests a second treatment after four days (if memory serves me correctly).

Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
e

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back