Clown loaches in a 20 gal?

Rory the cat

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My hubby has a major thing for clown loaches. The LFS has baby clowns at the moment (about 1 inch in length).

I currently have a 20 gal stocked as below. Now my tank is fully cycled and all is going well, I would like to buy 3 clowns.

I am getting a 60 gal tank at the end of the year (birthday/xmas present) into which I am going to transplant my communty tank. By the time I get the new tank up and running I shouldn't be overstocked. Using the gal/inch rule I make it that even if they got up to 2 or 3 inches long in that time (not likely) I should still be okay.

What do you guys think? The LFS is quite happy with the idea, as they say it will take a good few years for the fish to grow to an uncomfortable size anyway.

All views appreciated. :thumbs:

I'm sure you know, Clown Loaches can grow up to 12"/300mm and need to be kept in groups. That said, they grow quite quickly for the first 3-4"/75-100mm then slow down. What you are proposing is feasible, although not ideal.

I note you hgave a single Serpae and Glowlight, both of these are shoaling fish and will be happier with a few more of their own kind. The same is true of Scissortails, but again, these can get quite big ~6"/150mm.

The Sciss, Serpae and Glo-light are the remaining survivors of an old tank.

Basically, I inherited them with the 16gal. They are quite old fellows and are 'living out their days' in retirement. :D

I did try to get more Glo-lights, but the LFS only had babies, which I wasn't keen on with Sciss, so I got the jumbo neons which the Glo-light shoals with and plays with happily. I would quite like to get some Glo-lights eventually, but no more Serpaes or Scissortails. :)

You can put the clowns in the 20 gallon but I wouldn't advise it. I would just wait untill you get the 60 gallon.

I had my three clown in my 30 gallon before I got the 55 gallon and all they did was swim around like little crazy fellows. They were constantly stressed as well. As soon as I moved them to my 55 gallon they calmed down and got back their bright colors.

It would be better for the fish if you wait.

Good point Nina!!!

I would also wait, HECK I AM WAITING!!!

I plan on getting a 180 gallon and having various loaches, mostly clowns and my parrots!!!

Good advice Nina!!! :nod:

Most reactions

Back