Clown Loach

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

KyzaSoze

Reaction score
I recently got 2 Clown Loaches about 10 days ago.. Both are doing fine really adapted well to my tank, though 1 is pale in colour compared to the other Loach who's colours are more prominent and brighter. Is this down to the latter being the more dominent??? Thanxs for any help and reply in advance.

I recently got 2 Clown Loaches about 10 days ago.. Both are doing fine really adapted well to my tank, though 1 is pale in colour compared to the other Loach who's colours are more prominent and brighter. Is this down to the latter being the more dominent??? Thanxs for any help and reply in advance.

Probably that the lighter one is stressed out for some reason. Does he get any picked on by the other loach or any other tank mates?

Clown loaches are a shoaling fish and need to be in groups of 3+ min. I do hope you've got a nice big tank for them as they grow to 30cm+

No its a peaceful tank, so its just as i've wrote in the original post. Though i will keep an eye on things over the next 7-10 days or so.

One of mine sometimes goes a bit pale when it hides away somewhere for a few hours. Soon gets its colour back after a bit of food

Nope this 1 has been paler since i got him, now nearly 10 days later there's has been no change, once i've fed them i watch for a while and everyday he's had his fair share of food.

EDIT: this isn't your 60 litre tank with the convict, red tail shark and tiger barbs in it by any chance is it!? :crazy: :sly:

This member has to be a troll

Clown Loaches need to be in groups of 5 to 6 minimum as they are very social many have kept them in smaller numbers with no problem but this really is an essential to start:good:

Clown Loaches because of there social behaviour have a hierarchy depending on what sources of information you use state that after bickering (which can last days or even weeks) the ALPHA clown will "grey out" which manifests as the fish looking like it has lost its colour.

Unfortunately greying out can look like the fish being sick and or stressed so one has to determine which it is by observation.

Like all fish species I recommend you study the requirments of Clown loach then either provide there requirments or find them a new home as eventually your 2 clown loach will grow to quite a size.

This is a good page for Clown loach information: http://www.loaches.com/species-index/clown-loach-chromobotia-macracanthus

I would also recommend checking out the information in the species index of this forum and doing a search on google for something along the lines keeping Clown loaches.

I do hope you have them in something larger than your 60 litre tank if you do not I would seriously recommend one of two courses of action Get a very big tank or re home them.

Regards onebto

No went up in the world to a 120L Tank.. No Convict re-homed to my little bro who adores it + the Red Tail Shark is now in Fish heaven.. Thou still have 2 Tiger Barbs.

No went up in the world to a 120L Tank.. No Convict re-homed to my little bro who adores it + the Red Tail Shark is now in Fish heaven.. Thou still have 2 Tiger Barbs.

120 is still too small for them though.

What else is in there fish and decor wise?
Many caves/hiding places?

Did you cycle this tank?
What are your water stats?

120L is to small for two juveniles let alone mature ones.

120L is to small if you sort out one of the major problems as mentioned before they need to be in groups they are very social fish they definitely need a group of there own kind.

The questions that Big_eyes asked are very relevant.

We are not having a go at you we want to help you educate yourself about the fish you have brought :good:

Regards onebto

Tank is sand base, water conditions are fine. The tanks well looked after, 2 ornaments for hiding in... Gonna re-home the two loach to the mother-in-law her tank is way bigger than mine, probably a 240L or just over.. cheers for the help/info guys..

Tank is sand base, water conditions are fine. The tanks well looked after, 2 ornaments for hiding in... Gonna re-home the two loach to the mother-in-law her tank is way bigger than mine, probably a 240L or just over.. cheers for the help/info guys..

For the time being it is a better option but for the future it is still a poor resolution as they will out grow that tank over time.

Does she have other Clown loach as that is the other issue?

Regards onebto

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back