Cloudy water

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

theresamarie3366

Reaction score
Hello All,
I've had cloudy water for well over a week now. What am i doing wrong? I tried adding water clarifier and it did not work. I have a 10 gallon tank with a betta and five danios.

there are many reasons a tank can become cloudy. Give us some details of your situation and maybe we can put our brains together and come up with some ideas.

1. How long has the tank been set up?
2. What fish are in it?
3. How big is your aquarium?
4. What filtration are you using?
5. Have you tested your parameters? if so what are they?
6. Do you have any kind of algae problems?
7. Do you have live plants?

Any other details that you think of that may be relevant, please add.

i have a 10 gallon aquarium with 1 Betta and Five Danio. I didn't know anything about cycling until it was too late. My readings are ammonia 0-.25, Nitrires .25, Nitrates 5. It has been set up for about 2 weeks. I am using a whisper 20 from tetra.

Give it a month to 6 weeks and it will clear up. Once you have the bacteria up and going it will clear. Their are two bacteria, the first will utilize ammonia for food and produce nitrite. This is when the second bacteria will begin to produce and use the nitrite for food and in doing so produce nitrate which you will remove during water changes and or plants.

Remember filter needs some media left in and not cleaned, if all media is replaced or cleaned at one time you have thrown away your bacteria, and you have to start cycle over. This is why cartridge filters are bad news unless they have a bio wheel. If this filter is the one cartridge only model see if their is some room to put a mesh bag filled with ceramic cylinders like bio max or lavarock and never replace or clean, just rinse once in a while in tank water removed during water changes.

Hi i am a beginner when it comes to fish too, but I had the same problem as you not long ago after just setting up. I spoke to someone who knew alot about tropical fish ect, and he told me to change the water each week by taking some out and replacing it with tap water. I dont take alot out, a couple of litres if that. mine cleared up strait away.
I hope you sort out your problem soon.
Dawney G

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back