Cleaning mineral deposits from an old tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dan_acc

Reaction score
A friend just gave me a used 10g tank to use as a breeder/hospital. I've cleaned it up pretty well, but the glass has a white haze that I suspect comes from mineral deposits due to our hard water. I can't get it off. Do you know of anything that works?

Vinegar will work, but slowly. I suggest using a very sharp razor blade and be careful of the silicon of course!!!! Vinegar will clean up the remainder!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

Yes, but......you will end up with all the deposits back in the water....and the bulk of the deposits will be hard to see on the wet glass....personally I would drain the tank and go from there!!! Good luck! :thumbs:

i took my tank down the other day to clean it. my glass lids were getting scummy from hard water. i took them to the sink and got out the straight razor. works like a champ. used a little vinegar to clean up around the silicon. first time i really had to clean them as i jut got them and the PC lights a few weeks ago. i smelled bad for a while ( vinegar :lol: ) but twas a small price to pay to the happy fish gods.

Hello,
I just got a used 150 gallon tank. White haze....some scratches but dang that haze was very obvious.

After some research....I believe I found the answer.
Yes #1 clean the glass with razor and vinegar, you have to remove the film and debri ....but when your done and the haze is still staring you in the face......whip out your "Turtle wax heavy duty rubbing compound" and a clean cotton cloth.

The 10 oz container cost me 3 bucks at walmart in the automotive section....I tested it on a fist size spot...dang it really works.

tomorrow I am going to pick up a 6in palm buffer for 15 bucks.....done in an hour.

I will see if I can get a pic posted....

Phat-Rat

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back