Cleaning Algae Off Aquarium Rocks

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

muffins

Reaction score
Hi there :rolleyes:

Does anyone know a good way of cleaning algae off aquarium rocks? I have a plastic brush which with lots of scrubbing under a running tap will remove the majority of it, but some green remains, looks a bit like it is growing in the porous surface of the rock.
I cant seem to remove it, pls can you offer any help?

Or you can just take it out and leave it on a warm windowsill in direct sunlight for a couple of days, and it will die and dry out, then it will come off very easily.
good.gif

Or you can just take it out and leave it on a warm windowsill in direct sunlight for a couple of days, and it will die and dry out, then it will come off very easily.
good.gif

In South East Asia yes......this guy is probably in England.......Sunlight ? what sunlight ? :hyper:

good.gif

In South East Asia yes......this guy is probably in England.......Sunlight ? what sunlight ? :hyper:

Yes....how very true
rofl.gif
..... I have almost forgotten what it is like!

With mine, providing they aren't flaky rocks that could shard if too hot, I fill a bowl with boiling water and then put the rocks (and plastic aquarium plants - makes them go a bit more bendy but they harden up when cooled) in and leave them till the water cools. You can then either scrub it off yourself, which especially with algae with BBA will now come off far more easily, or put them back in the tank and allow the fish to pick it off as it will have died and will come off more easily. :)
DevotedToDiscus's method of leaving them out of the tank for a few days is also good - I live in Scotland and can manage it!! Leave it on a radiator or something if it's not sunny enough to dry out if left on a windowsill :good:

That's easy, I've done this. Very easy to do.

If you're not squeamish, use a teacup for smaller rocks or a pot for big ones. Place boiling hot water in it and let it soak for an hour, and then scrub off with a sponge or your fingers. If you are squeamish, fill up your sink full of boiling water so it covers the rock, and just do the same :good:

Most reactions

trending

Back