What's new

Clean up crew for small tank

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰
Are they in the same tank? You cant keep Bettas and Gouramis in the same tank eventually they will fight and 1 will die.
The betta is separate in his own 10 gallon tank. I got him another merits snail. And the honey gourami is in his own 10 gallon tank, that is the tank in adding the corys to. Sorry for the confusion. That betta is really aggressive with a chain of combo attacks.

iBLtFaK

Don't add ice to drop the temperature. It isn't necessary. The fish will be fine once they get into the tank and you can slowly lower the temperature. Corydoras and other fishes are not going to freak out because the temperature is 26 or 27C. However, they will stress out if you start changing the temperature suddenly by adding ice, and also from being left in the bag too long.

The best way to acclimatise fish to a new tank is to float the bag in the tank for about 20minutes. While it is floating you add a cup of tank water to the bag every 5 minutes. After 20minutes you carefully pour the water & fish from the bag into a bucket and then use a soft net to scoop the fish out and put them in the tank. If you don't have a net then pour most of the water from the bag into a bucket and then pour the fish and as little bag water into the tank.
The idea is to add the new fish without any shop water, so you reduce the chances of introducing diseases into the tank from potentially contaminated shop tanks.

Don't add ice to drop the temperature. It isn't necessary. The fish will be fine once they get into the tank and you can slowly lower the temperature. Corydoras and other fishes are not going to freak out because the temperature is 26 or 27C. However, they will stress out if you start changing the temperature suddenly by adding ice, and also from being left in the bag too long.

The best way to acclimatise fish to a new tank is to float the bag in the tank for about 20minutes. While it is floating you add a cup of tank water to the bag every 5 minutes. After 20minutes you carefully pour the water & fish from the bag into a bucket and then use a soft net to scoop the fish out and put them in the tank. If you don't have a net then pour most of the water from the bag into a bucket and then pour the fish and as little bag water into the tank.
The idea is to add the new fish without any shop water, so you reduce the chances of introducing diseases into the tank from potentially contaminated shop tanks.
I added them. They look a bit spooked but tell get settled in no time. Do I need to feed them food

Corydoras do need to be fed but don't feed new fish until they have been in the tank for a few hours. Just feed them later tonight when you feed the others. The Cories will pick up left over food that sinks to the bottom and they should get some bottom sinking foods a few times a week.

Corydoras do need to be fed but don't feed new fish until they have been in the tank for a few hours. Just feed them later tonight when you feed the others. The Cories will pick up left over food that sinks to the bottom and they should get some bottom sinking foods a few times a week.
Ok, there doing good i checked on them. I might get 2 albino so there is 5. I feed the gourami flakes fo I dont know how much will sink. I have bottom feeder food. How often should that be added... every other day? And would these fish mean I should do a 30% wc every 2 weeks? There small and the gourami is the only full grown fish i have.

yes feed the bottom feeding food every second day, and check a few hours later to make sure the food has been eaten and is not rotting in the gravel.

yes you should do a water change every 1 - 2 weeks. Most people try to do it every week but it depends on how the nitrates go and if you live somewhere that water is in limited supply. If you don't have water restrictions then try for once a week, or do a bigger water change (say 50%) every 2 weeks.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank :)

yes feed the bottom feeding food every second day, and check a few hours later to make sure the food has been eaten and is not rotting in the gravel.

yes you should do a water change every 1 - 2 weeks. Most people try to do it every week but it depends on how the nitrates go and if you live somewhere that water is in limited supply. If you don't have water restrictions then try for once a week, or do a bigger water change (say 50%) every 2 weeks.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank :)
Ok sounds goo, with these tanks im slowly running out of conditioner. When I need more is there any really good brand I should get? And i remove the extra bottom food if there is any left, right?

The water conditioner you get will depend on which country you live in and whether there is chlorine or chloramine in your water supply. If you only have chlorine in your water then a basic dechlorinator is fine. If you have chloramine in the water supply, then you need a conditioner that breaks down chloramine.
If you are unsure about whether you have chlorine or chloramine, then get a conditioner that removes chloramine because it will also do chlorine. Alternatively contact your water supply company (by telephone or check their website) and ask them if you have chlorine or chloramine in the water.

----------------------
When you put the bottom food into the tank, wait a couple of hours and then remove the uneaten food if there is anything left.

The water conditioner you get will depend on which country you live in and whether there is chlorine or chloramine in your water supply. If you only have chlorine in your water then a basic dechlorinator is fine. If you have chloramine in the water supply, then you need a conditioner that breaks down chloramine.
If you are unsure about whether you have chlorine or chloramine, then get a conditioner that removes chloramine because it will also do chlorine. Alternatively contact your water supply company (by telephone or check their website) and ask them if you have chlorine or chloramine in the water.

----------------------
When you put the bottom food into the tank, wait a couple of hours and then remove the uneaten food if there is anything left.
Ok thanks, I know I dont have one of them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back