What's new

Clean Up Crew For My Tank?

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Forestpisces

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Ok so i have a 9.1gal with male betta and was wanting a clean up crew to keep the sand looking a little better.

What would be my best options? Was considering 3 Kuhli loaches, would they work or a deffinate no go. I'm going to my LFS tomoro for supplies and would like to get the new fish then if possible.

Help!!! :S

Kuhli loaches should be fine with the betta but they wouldn't really clean up much. I would go with MTS, 1 Nerite snail and 6 Amano shrimp. MTS are detrivores, Nerites and Amanos are excellent algae eaters.

Kuhli loaches should be fine with the betta but they wouldn't really clean up much. I would go with MTS, 1 Nerite snail and 6 Amano shrimp. MTS are detrivores, Nerites and Amanos are excellent algae eaters.

I would suggest a little group of corys. Found them really good for cleanin the substrate in my tank.

just wondering saltynay, wat are MTS??

I think cories would get too big for my tank? :unsure:

I am also curiouse about the MTS?

Currently favouring kuhlis, but i am open to all suggestions. :good:

hey sorry, didnt think of the size of your tank, and of course you'd need a few corys to keep them happy

good luck with it anyway :) hope ya get sorted

I have the same query. I was thinking of getting something to keep my tank clean. The problem is I have 6 zerbra loach so snails may not be a good idea.

I have 2 golden algae eater which I dont like very much and they are not very good at eating up algae.

Any recommendations?

I have the same query. I was thinking of getting something to keep my tank clean. The problem is I have 6 zerbra loach so snails may not be a good idea.

I have 2 golden algae eater which I dont like very much and they are not very good at eating up algae.

Any recommendations?

I would post your own topic rather than jumping in on someone elses.

No offence ment, if I didn't say it someone else would have. :good:

Mike

Tis the evil thread snatcher!!!!! :crazy:

Lol i dont mind but i would say our tank sizes differ ALOT! Wouldnt want soomeone insisting i add a plec or something now would i :blink:

So guys i think i'm going with kuhli's, any objections??? I want to do right by the fish.

Tis the evil thread snatcher!!!!! :crazy:

Lol i dont mind but i would say our tank sizes differ ALOT! Wouldnt want soomeone insisting i add a plec or something now would i :blink:

So guys i think i'm going with kuhli's, any objections??? I want to do right by the fish.

:lol: I cant help you with stocking suggestions as im quite new to the scene myself and fish/sizes/stocking is not one of the few things I have grasped yet :lol:

Like you said above though the only problem with someone with a bigger tank jumping on your thread is that the fish suggestions will be bigger and things can get confusing. :fun: :crazy:

Mike

Hehe well i appreciate your help anyway. I dont think Radish would agree with snails he chases anything on the glass and i've heard kuhli's are good for sifting through sand substrate which i have a nice thick layer of plus there an intresting looking fish. After those i'm fully stocked and happy :good:

Corys and khulis wont actually clean up the mess though they will just turn the sand making it more likely you have rotting matter in your substrate affecting water quality. MTS will sift the sand and eat the fish waste as well as any excess food. By all means get khuli loaches as well but they won't do much for your cleanliness.

I have just moved my betta over to an 8 gallon tank the stocking will be - 3 striped khuli loaches + 1 black khuli loach, CT male betta, 4 african dwarf frogs, 60 cherry shrimp, 2 horned nerites, 3 apple snails at a relatively small size and Malaysian trumpet snails. Ramshorns and pond snails have already managed to transfer from my other tank as well as 2 of my guppy fry. My filtration is really excessive in this tank though hence the very very high stocking levels, I have heavily planted both tanks, 2 fluval1+, interpet pf1, diy filter (equivalent sponge area to 9.7 x a single fluval 1+) the filtration connects the 8 gallon and 5 gallon together. The 5 gallon contains 2 black corys, 2 albino corys, 2 male endlers, 3 guppy females, the fry, all previously mentioned snails, assassin snails, cherry shrimp, tiger shrimp, amano shrimp, black shrimp and blue tiger shrimp. Eventually I plan to connect the 2 tanks with a fish tube but atm bit worried the assassins will eat my apple snails and unsure whether I actually want them freely moving between the tanks.

Wow and i was worried i'd be overstocked with the kuhlis.

I dont want my sand cleaning per say i just want it turned to make gravel vaccing easier and i wanted a cool addition to the tank.
Kuhlis have fasinated me for a while and so i think i'l give them a go :good:
You certainly are brave with that stocking in an 8gal i wouldnt put that in my 9.1gal isnt 5 gals too small for cories?

Best of luck with it :nod:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back