Clamped Fins - What Does This Mean

JoanneH

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Can someone explain what clamped fins are and why does this happen - I have noticed my new female platy's dorsal fin is more or less flat to her back, is this clamped fin?

Clamp fins are a sign of stress, it's because the water quality isn't good, sorry.

Oh dear my poor fishes are having a rough time at the moment, I thought I was doing well for a beginner ...until now! :(

joanne..... maybe u can post ur water stats or other signs and people may be able to give u more of a direct approach to help stop whatever is happening?

good place for it too - in the emergency section - think i'd post it there too if mine were same!!

any advice helps stops the painck!

joanne..... maybe u can post ur water stats or other signs and people may be able to give u more of a direct approach to help stop whatever is happening?

Sure .... amonia 0.25, nitrate and nitite both 0. Platies flicking off plants and rocks, 1 platy has clamped dorsal fin. doing daily 10% water changes otherwise corys are subdued. All other fishes are ok. Thanks.

hi

are you cycling - tired yet??? - (really really bad joke - sorri) :blush: :blink: :fun:

if so how long are you into the cycling?

definately as of the ammonia - i had the same problem - as soon as ammonia is present in the tank with fish they immediate show us they dont like it, clamp fins, hanging and the flicking can be signs of whitespot which fish are prone to diseases when water quality goes down the pan (hardy fish are apparantly "put up with it" but obviously not for long periods) - why you will probably and i say probably be sold the fishless cycling method - as then we dont poor the poor little things thru the ammonia and nitrIte

as wilder says definatly sign of stress - now people may well give you a step by step approach how to rectify things or help the fish be more comfortable - but i was told to keep up with 15% water changes and test water B4 a water change - and the amount becomes diluted

good luck -and many of us thought keeping these little fishes was easy???????? NOOOOOO WAY!!

rob

I'll just add as a general piece of information that clamped fins are a sign of general stress. In this particular case, it is probably to do with water stats, but it can be any stress, caused by bullying, upset from being moved, schooling fish kept on its own, incipient disease as well as water problems. It's like when a child starts whingeing or sits huddled up in a corner; you know something's wrong and then you have to start narrowing it down.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back