Citric acid,diy co2 generator

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

chef83

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here.
I recently bought on ebay the co2 generator on ebay a was excited to pump co2 in mu 160l aquarium.
I started with acid ascorbic and bicarbonate soda. If I understood correctly, the liquid from the bottle A ( citric acid goes to bottle B, bicarbonate soda). The pressure in the begin was around 1,5/kg and it starts to make co2 in a couple of minutes. The problem is that the water from bottle A run out in a couple of hours even though the bubbles for second were 1.
Sound that there is not leaks .
Can someone help me?
Thanks

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I have never used a citric acid CO2 generator and would be cautious about using one. It uses 2 chemicals to create CO2 gas that presumably collects in a chamber and is then allowed to slowly leach into the tank water.

Chemical reactions work very quickly and could easily put a lot of CO2 into the water in a very short space of time. This could kill the fish from CO2 poisoning.

Most carbon dioxide used for planted aquariums is in a gas bottle that has taps and regulators on to precisely control the amount of CO2 going into the tank. A very small amount of CO2 is allowed into the tank where it mixes with the water and increases the CO2 levels in the water. It also drops the pH if too much CO2 is added or there is no carbonate hardness (KH) to stabilise the pH.

Unless you have a heavily planted tank with lots of light, adding CO2 is not necessary or going to help the fish or plants. There is also plenty of CO2 in the air and that gets into the water. And the filter bacteria and fish produce lots of CO2 the plants can use.

If you only have a few plants and low level light, you only need to add iron based plant fertilisers to see a major increase in plant growth. :)

Thanks Colin, the idea to inject co2 is to drop phone and try to go in the green area of table chart oh/ph

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back