cichlids turn pale when scared?

rbcxpeter

Reaction score
I was moving my 60g downstairs and so i had to empty it and take the fish out. Well, i did that and after moving it downstairs, i filled it up with cold water and waited to the heater to heat the water up before i can put the fish back in. So after it was heated, i put the fish in and noticed that my managuense and tiger oscars were pale. Especially the managuense. It's usually very dark, almost all black but today it was like all white. So i started panicking that maybe they were freezing in the bucket that i had it in and soon to be dead but then a friend relieved me with the fact that most cichlids turn pale when they're frightened. Now they're normal colored and pretty smart, they're heating up next to the water heater as if it were like a fireplace. It's funny cuz they're just gathered there and when one turns off, they go to the other one and switch back. haha. But yeah, i just wanted to share my new experience the new info that i learned. :D

i don't think they are that scared.

You mentioned that you emptied the water, then filled it with cold water from the tap. I'd say they were getting adjusted to totally new water conditions, your old water may have had a different Ph, hardness, etc, and when removed from that and placed in new water, they will take some time to adjust, i'm sure they love their tank :fun:

Great to hear the move went well though :cool: 60 g is a big tank

it can happen when stressed or scared. my jag is almost black too but when its frightened it turns light

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back