Cichlid food

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

val

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I was looking through different cichlid foods, and found that you can get sticks, pellets, discs, and flakes. So, now I don't know what to get for my South American Plumbhead/Archocentrus Spilurus. My pleco and the crayfish eat discs, the mystery fish eats flakes. Should I get pellets or sticks?

:S
Valerie

I have used sticks in the past, my fish didn't really seem to like them. Hikari Cichlid Gold Pellets, they are one of the best staple diets for cichlids.

Sticks/Pellets really are the best food for medium to large cichlids.

For the very reason they are not nearly as messy as flakes. I agree that Hikari foods are very good.

Keep in mind tho that a well balanced diet consists of more than just pellets. An occassional treat of frozen bloodworms/brineshrimp will be appreciated by your cichlids as well as freeze dried krill.

CM

I have been using a combination of the pellets and flakes. For the most part they just nibble on the pellets between regular feedings and go nuts when I give them the flakes and 1-2 times a week I give them some freeze-dried blood worms. I picked up some frozen brine shrimp and some frozen tubifex worms today and gave them the worms instead of flakes to begin with, I guess they had never had them before because they acted at first like they didn't know what to do with it! The only one that went for it immediately was the Pictus. I ended up going ahead and giving them a few flakes and didn't put the pellets in.
I have a green Severum, Green Terror, Turquoise Jewel, Jack Dempsey and 2 pink convicts in with the Pictus.
I'm still learning with them. The bb's have provided me with a wealth of information that it would otherwise have taken years to learn.
:D

I stick with hikari pellets. My GT and JD love em. They also eat flake food and i occasionaly treat them to frozen bloodworms. Feeder guppies (not goldfish) are also a good treat.

Most reactions

Back