Cichlid eggs for the 2nd time

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

joniwaller

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,
I have just seen my cichlid lay eggs for the 2nd time,the first time i made the mistake of removing the parents and eggs and transferring them to a hatchery,yup you geussed it the parents ate the eggs! now they have had more gees i need some advice such as how lond does it take for them to hatch? can i move the eggs to a hatchery? and are they normally fertilized right away?

i know i can move the eggs safely if it is ok to do so as they are in a small pot so there will be no trouble moving them.

i await response before i do anything

thanx
joni

Which type of cichlid? You never named them.

Were all of the eggs eaten?

I suppose it would be best to move them, though it would help if we knew which type it was, seeing as how certain fish (i.e. discus) have to be kept with the fry.

The best thing to do is get a 1 gallon jar, methylene blue, and an air tube. Darken the water with the chemicals to reduce chances of fungal infections and aerate to help the eggs hatch.

hi, not sure what type they are,if it helps they are quite small and white/light yellow.i dont know how to post a picture here but if anyone emails me i will email back photos of them.The last time they ate the eggs,they were so protective of them when they were in the tank so i thought i would put the parents in the hatchery with the eggs D'OH

THANX
JOHN

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back