Cichlid eating gravel?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lexie3787

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
One of my albinos keeps eating the gravel, I don't think this is healthy? Can anyone tell me why hes doing this?

Mmmmm well its rather vague here at best but.......................

The cichlid is possibly not eating the gravel but picking it up, moving it else where and spitting it out, mine do it all the time. They do it when bored or digging a breeding site, or in the case of my tropheus, pick a piece laden in algae, pick it up, chew off the algae and spit it out later!

I don't think he's eating it, hes probably digging a hole and he's just moving gravel from one place to the other.....seen it before with my red shoulder peacock...nothing to worry about...

Most cichlids will pick up gravel and try to get food out of it :) Geophagus (South american cichlid) were named after this, because the word Geophagus literally means earth eater ;)

Yeah as well as searching for food, Cichlids pick up the gravel and move it to mark their territory. They generally move gravel out of a spot they want to make their cave or similar, nothing to worry about and very common

Hmm...good question.. mine was doing it too and I read on this site that it was getting ready to spawn. I think this means breed. Since I am so new at this ( I have had my tank since Jan 05), I really have no basis of knowledge on their behavior except what i have read here. I hope more viewers would also reply to my question, " Is he lonely". I put a new fish in with him and I dont know if it will survive according to my ONLY reply.

what they all said, no need to add more, except that its very common and nothing to worry bout ;) mine do it for all the reasons above (cept mine havent bred yet).

winniethepooh said:
I hope more viewers would also reply to my question, " Is he lonely". I put a new fish in with him and I dont know if it will survive according to my ONLY reply.
Hi winnithepooh :) ,

I read your "Is he lonely" thread and the reason you have had no more responses is because freddyk (our local cichlid super expert!!) has asked you a question to which you have not given an answer...

..."what type of African cichlid is it?"

There are many different types and breeds of African cichlids and until you advise what specific one it is, no-one can help you any further.

steve 8)

Most reactions

trending

Back