Cichlid dilemma

Alien Anna

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I have a 3ft tank looking for some fish and I had set my heart on Lake Tanganyika dwarf cichlids. However, they don't seem half so interesting as the Malawi cichlids. Would it be possible to keep a couple of bigger cichlids in the tank, rather than several dwarfs, or is the tank too small? There's this zebra cichlid in the LFS who looks at me with pleading eyes every time I visit...

:) Hi AA, most rift lake cichlids are of an aggressive nature, so normally a tank requires to be heavily stocked. You need to watch what you put together and preferably stock all at once, hence a mature tank is required. For more specific info Click Here.  ;)  Mac.

About Malawi and Tanganjika (Tanganyika)..

Here is information of water (Tanganjika lake / Malawi lake), which is not usual: http://home.arcor.de/dr.kremser/Tanganjika.html

Books of Tanganjika: http://www.cichlidpress.com/books/bookcatalog.htm#tanganyika

And here is about water of Malawi lake: http://home.arcor.de/dr.kremser/Malawi.html

I have thought of setting up Malawi tank too, maybe next year :)

It's too bad, but most of good www-sites are only in German, but it's not problem, because it's quite easy to translate them...

Mac,
Hi AA, most rift lake cichlids are of an aggressive nature, so normally a tank requires to be heavily stocked. You need to watch what you put together and preferably stock all at once, hence a mature tank is required.

I'm in absolutely no hurry - I have run out of money so it'll have to remain a dream for a while at least. In the meantime, I'm making plans...
:sleepy:

Thanks for the link. I have been warned that some of the recipes on the Net are actually over-stocks, due to the fact that they don't take into account full adult size, so what works to reduce territorial behaviour may also work to cause stressed fish in the long run.
:(

But I did think the other way of dealing with territorial fish is to have one or a pair in a tank on their own. I want something rather different from my "Amazon" tank and it would be nice to have fish that actually like the kind of liquid rock that comes out the taps around here. "Terrance" the Zebra Cichlid, on sale at my LFS, has captured my heart, but he would rather work against my idea of a couple of cichlid pairs with dwarf rainbows as dither fish ("Dwarf rainbows? I don't mind if I do! I could do with a snack").

Hi Everyone,
here's the outline "recipe" I was thinking of for my 3' (1m) tank. I got the idea of one of the cichlid sites:

8x Neolamprologus lepeupi (Lemon cichlid)
3x small Aulonocara (e.g. African peacocks)
6x dwarf Melanotaenia (e.g. Dwarf rainbowfish)
1x dwarf plec

My friend who is an expert in cichlids says this is the kind of over-stocking designed to reduce territorial behaviour, which could be a problem as the fish get older and larger.

I wanted to get as much colour in there as possible (yellow Neolaprologus, blue Aulonocara and red rainbowfish), and fish that could tolerate the extreme pH and hardness of local water.

AA,
here is my opinion,
Aulonocara sp. do not need to be crowded, they are peaceful by nature. Some "peacocks can get to be 5"+. While there are ones that stay around 4-4.5", they will not be found much smaller than this.

The male leleupi will eventually kill all but maybe a female, and then only if he chooses to mate with her. Leleupi are highly aggressive especially in the confines of a 3ft tank.

When you mention dwarf Melanotaenia, which species are you refering to? There are a minimum of 22 Melanotaenia in my book which is a little old at that. Please give a specific species.

IMHO not a good mix.

When time permits I will be happy to list some species for you that would fit nicely in this size tank.

Hi Cichlidmaster,
thanks for your views.

I've been down the LFS on a research visit since I posted:

Aulonocara sp. do not need to be crowded, they are peaceful by nature. Some "peacocks can get to be 5"+. While there are ones that stay around 4-4.5", they will not be found much smaller than this.
They seem a little large for my tank when seen in real life. On paper, an inch or half an inch doesn't seem much, but they are deep-bodied and rather chunky, aren't they? How much swimming space do they need?

The male leleupi will eventually kill all but maybe a female, and then only if he chooses to mate with her.

Yes, this is what the LFS guy told me. He felt a similar coloured fish, something he called a "yellow lab" might be more suitable. I assume a "yellow lab" in one of the "Labidochromis sp."? In which case, it grows to about 4", which is the upper limi for my tank, I feel. There was a similar species that was bluey coloured. I wondered if they would be compatible. The guy said they were the easy temprements of all the African cichlids.

Due to aggression problems, I was encouraged to consider a few individuals or pairs of different species, rather than a couple of large groups. It's rather different from tetras etc., isn't it?

Oh, and Terrance the Zebra cichlid has gone to a new home :(
Apparently, loads of customers have been asking about him but as they said, the 2" display tank was far too small for him long-term.

Another species I liked the look of was Neolamprologus tetrocephalus, but I was told I should probably not consider more than one individual.

The guy was really pushing shell-dwellers, but I got the impression they like a species tank (?). They have a lot of them at the LFS and they seemed quite small, so maybe. I liked the ones he described as "bandits" (they had black face markings). The shells they had looked pretty cool, too. Unfortunately, I can't find them in Baensch. It's annoying that species aren't grouped by location in the world!

When you mention dwarf Melanotaenia, which species are you refering to?
There's only one I can find specifically referred to as "Dwarf rainbowfish" and it's Melanotaenia maccullochi. I wanted something that would school, which would not also be lunch for my cichlids!

When time permits I will be happy to list some species for you that would fit nicely in this size tank.

Thanks but please don't worry too much - I enjoy all the planning and discussion. It's almost a shame when I put a plan into action!

AA,
The Labidochromis caeruleus (electric yellows) would be a nice choice. The blue variety also, but these two would indeed cross spawn. As for the Tretochepalus, stay away. These get to be 6" amd are highly aggressive. I have a sub adult group of 10 I am growing out and plan to place in a 6ft tank.

I am not familiar with the dwarf rainbow you mention, but any rainbow would be a nice addition. Just make sure you get at least 6 as they do indeed like to school.

Please continue to post your questions and I am sure we can get you a tank that will be all you want it to be.

Talk to you soon...

Labidochromis caeruleus (electric yellows) are a truly stunning fish and relatively peaceful too, i keep these and they have to be one of the nicest looking fish i keep :D

Most reactions

Back