Chris' Nano Journal

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

On thursday we had a power cut at 9am, I found out at 4.14 that the power went on so got home at 4.30. Checked everything out spoke to the neighbor who told me what was happening, so i went out and bought a generator. Plugged in my main pump + heater.

We finally go power on at 9.30pm. It was only on for 5 mins until i got a knock at the door fro the women over the road saying that she heard a big bang and can smell smoke. So i popped across and her over, tv and washing machine had blown up. My next door neighbour then asked my to check hers as she heard a bang as well. So check her house her dvd player was smoking and tv went bang as well.

As soon as this happend i turned her board of as well as ours and the women's across the road. I then spoke to the cable joint er and told then what happend. They didn't believe me when i said they must of messed up there joint and mixed a phase and neutral up. He then tested the 2 houses and sure enough he messed the joint up putting 2 different phases into the house meaning rather than 230v it was now 415v. So off the power went again until 1.30 where they said unfortunately most the houses will have to be without power that night.

Thankfully our power was back on. The next day they sent other electricians around to test there houses electrics as well as there appliance. They both lost well over 90% of there appliances, including tv's, ovens, fridges,microwave etc.

All the stock i lost from this was 1 hermit crab and my star polyps. (they had just started to open the day before)

My toadstool has just started to come back to life as well as the kenya tree. My reading didn't really go up much and after a water change the next day they went almost back to normal.

Please make sure you have a form of stand by electric as well as a spare powerhead etc in case something like this happens to you, lucky our power came back on at 1.30am and not the midday the next day!

sorry for the long and boring update but i suppose its a good update at the end of it as i was expecting worse!

chris

OMG that sounds awful, lucky nobody ended up with a fire in their house. Great to hear the tank was ok, thank goodness it wasn't too cold

Seffie x

Since the power cut everything has be fine except for the toadstool which developed a nasty hole on top of it. No idea why or what caused it. Water parameters has been spot on and have never crept up (even with the power cut i had).

Has taken about 1 week from when it looked the worse to start to come out properly. It now looks very clean and fleshy so finger crossed it makes a full recovery.

Hole (Almost at its worse)
P1040428-1.jpg

P1040446.jpg

Last night can just about see the bare patch in the middle where the hole was and the ployps have rotted/died (pictures where take with 1 x white tube and 1x blue tube so pictures quality isnt the best)
P1040466.jpg

New green zoas
P1040475.jpg

New orange zoas
P1040462.jpg

P1040463.jpg

New feather duster
P1040478.jpg

New Cleaner shrimp (seems to always stay on the underside of the toadstool)
P1040481.jpg

Pink zoas
P1040464.jpg

Pulsing zenia (grown alot since the last picture)
P1040469.jpg

Full tank shot
P1040457.jpg

P1040483.jpg

Side tank shot
P1040458.jpg

Thanks for looking
Chris

Looking good Chris - will you be having all softies?

It's really common for toadstools to get that sort of injury, leave it alone and it will heal it's self

Seffie x

Thanks, i think i'll keep to softies for now. Would like a few different types but the tanks seems to be getting full already. Going to get alot more zoas in different colours. Only other coral i would like to get is a Duncan.

Didnt know about that with the toadstool. Asked on UR about it but no one commented. Do you know what causes it at all? looked like it was filling up with rubbish so added a small eheim compact 300 at it. Kept it clean for the 4 days before the hole started to appair. Has been out for 3 days in a row now so looking very good.

Everthing in the tank is doing well. Toadstool has been out fully all the time.

Went to a few shops yesturday and came back with a few corals/frags

Rock of baby blue + green zoa
P1040521.jpg

Brown + green zoa
P1040540.jpg

Green zoa
P1040538.jpg

4 head duncan
P1040527.jpg

P1040530.jpg

also got a biggish frag of blue xenia for just over £5

Purple firefish
P1040503.jpg

Sump working fully (dont think ive posted a pictureof it working yet)
P1040543.jpg

Tank + Sump
P1040545.jpg

FTS
P1040550.jpg

P1040490.jpg

P1040488.jpg

P1040496.jpg

P1040534.jpg

Wow, you have been busy, I really like that blue zoa :wub:

Blue xenia seems more difficult to keep than the pink and white so will be interested to hear how you get on. Will you add your pictures to the corals of the week thread pleeese :fun:

That looks a really lovely firefish - am tempted by one of those :nod:

Seffie x

Thanks, that was from amwell (aswell as the green one)

duncan and the brown zoa was from knights (really impressed with this shop)

will add them in a fer minutes time :good:

Glade i bought the fire fish.

Where is Knights Chris? Have been to Amwells and like it alot, if a bit expensive though!

Seffie x

its in godstone. Think its junction 6 on the m25. A junction away from stm. Theve got a good selection of corals imo (4 x 4ft tanks + 1x 3ftx3ft tank)

yea i thought amwell was quite expensive but really liked the colours. Otherwise i probably wouldn't of bothered buying anything.

Bought another 2 zoa's today

1 purple and pink and 1 blue.

will get pics up tonight once they have settled in abit.

Most reactions

Back