Chocolate Gouramis

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

i'v set up a tank for them (25 gallons) and am going to purchase them in 2-3 months and breed them...

Chocolate gouramis are an extremly delicate fish which prefer a heavily planet blackwater aquarium with din lighting. They prefer peaceful tankmates and like to be kept in groups of 6 and above. An acidic Ph (6.0 - 6.6) will be best and soft water. Unless kept in perfect conditions they will not look their best, fold up their fins and refuse to eat.

These fish should be fed on live food, but if you can't afford/obtain these foods, frozen will do. They will reject any type of flake food, except in rare cases. They prefer temperatures of 28 Degrees C.

These fish are also very hard to breed and will either mouthbrood, or build a bubble nest. If you wish to breed these fish, condition them for weeks with live foods.

The water must also be effectivly filtered but it must not be turbulent. It is also a good idea to include lots of bog/drfit wood in the aquarium. A species tank is best.

Hope that helped you :)

*Btw, the type sold are usually Wild caught so, again, perfect conditions must be maintained. Also, frequent water changes

i'v set up a tank for them (25 gallons) and am going to purchase them in 2-3 months and breed them...

Chocolate gouramis are an extremly delicate fish which prefer a heavily planet blackwater aquarium with din lighting. They prefer peaceful tankmates and like to be kept in groups of 6 and above. An acidic Ph (6.0 - 6.6) will be best and soft water. Unless kept in perfect conditions they will not look their best, fold up their fins and refuse to eat.

These fish should be fed on live food, but if you can't afford/obtain these foods, frozen will do. They will reject any type of flake food, except in rare cases. They prefer temperatures of 28 Degrees C.

These fish are also very hard to breed and will either mouthbrood, or build a bubble nest. If you wish to breed these fish, condition them for weeks with live foods.

The water must also be effectivly filtered but it must not be turbulent. It is also a good idea to include lots of bog/drfit wood in the aquarium. A species tank is best.

not true. ive kept them in pairs for 4 months now and they eat my flakes and they in my comunity tank. they're actually one of the easiest fish to have. have plants bcuz incase they dont eat ur flakes theyll eat stuff off the plants.

not true. ive kept them in pairs for 4 months now and they eat my flakes and they in my comunity tank. they're actually one of the easiest fish to have. have plants bcuz incase they dont eat ur flakes theyll eat stuff off the plants.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You have got to be joking!

These fish are quite hard to keep and anybody who has actuallykept them fish will agree.

btw, which part of what i said above, isn't true?

Well I have kept Chocolates before and when I have room I plan to keep them again, I have advised Doggfather on his set-up and its looking good and I am looking foward to seeing babies shipped to me! Anyway IME Chocholates are one of the harder Gouramis to keep, because they are wild caught they like precise water conditions and are best off in a species tank in groups as my article in the fish index suggests, Doggfather has told you what you need to keep them and he is right.

Out of interest Bea/ \/ can we see some pics of yours and your tank set-up.

I recently acquired two chocolates. I had read that they were very sensitive species that would roll over and die at the drop of a hat. I also read one account of them dying on the way home in the bag. When I saw them in the store I asked the guy if they could be kept in hard water, and he said yes, they are in hard water right there. So I bought them, despite having read they require soft water (which I don't have) and live food (which I don't have). Having read all these horror stories, I expected them to both be dead in the morning.

One refused to eat from the get go (I think he was a male), and died after 3 days. The other (I believe a female) started eating frozen brine shrimp, mysis, and blood worms, and now has started taking some flake. I knew when she started eating, that she would be fine. The fish is in fairly hard water. Since my purchase happened so suddenly, the tank has no gravel but does have some little fixtures that supply hiding places. It is a 10 gallon with a sponge filter in the corner. So far so good on the survivor. I am planning on getting the tank appropriately outfitted with gravel and plants and acquiring several more specimens. I didn't know they are all wild caught, and indeed I doubt that is the case. What I can't figure out is why they only cost $5. Perhaps because they are a bit drab and the only people that want them are masochists who want the challenge. Myself, I simply like unusual fish.

I think these fish are more "keepable' than we've been told, although no doubt they are sensitive. They are shipped overnight in little bags by suppliers, so how sensitive could they be? Granted, they charge more than twice the store price for them if you buy them over the Net (to allow for losses?), but still they apparently will ship them. When I get all set up I'm going to see. I have taken this up as my new fish project, and I'll let you know how it works out.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back