Cherry Shrimp Eggs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

smokeyjo

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi guys I've got 7 cherry shrimp in my sons tank and I've just been looking at them and noticed what look like eggs but I can work it out as they are in the corner. They aint the from the fish because I've only got endlers in there and they are still fry. So if they are eggs it can only be from the shrimp but I don't know if they are egg layers thanks guys

Hi guys I've got 7 cherry shrimp in my sons tank and I've just been looking at them and noticed what look like eggs but I can work it out as they are in the corner. They aint the from the fish because I've only got endlers in there and they are still fry. So if they are eggs it can only be from the shrimp but I don't know if they are egg layers thanks guys

Shrimp do not lay eggs but can drop them if too young or streesed, They will not hatch if they are lose anyway

Not "layers" as such, more "carrier".

Research the life cycle, you'll find this in more details but;

You'll notice the females have a more "skirted" abdomen, hangs lower around the rear "legs" than on the males. They also have a "saddle" (looks like the sort you would place on a horse) that starts just behind their head and extends backwards. This can start green/yellow and starts to get bigger. Once the eggs are finished in the saddle, the female (for lack of better words) "gives birth" to these eggs, but continues to hold them under the above mentioned "skirt" between her legs until they are ready to hatch. She will constantly waft water over the eggs with the hind "legs" until they are ready. Its said that a female can tell which of the eggs are hatching by feel, even if hundreds being carried, and will "kick" the hatching ones from the back of her abdomen. At this point the babies will immediately look for dense cover to avoid predation.

In short, what you have in the coner of your tank may be eggs, but theyre probably not from shrimp. If they are and have been "dropped", as Al said, they wont survive. Normally happens when they are too yound, predated on or just generally stressed.

Potentially.

What else is in there? Anything that would naturally predate on shrimp?

Did this myself by mistake, put 5 Kribs in a tank already housing around 10 shrimp, all got eaten, even with about 5 fistfulls worth of moss and lots of plants to hide in. Seemed to happen overnight, and i would find mashed bits of shell in the morning, and kribs that didnt want to eat.

only endler fry in there with them i would of thought it is down to hiding places as ive got very little in there . so ill have to find some thing to go in there for them

Most reactions

trending

Back