Cherry Barb Laying Eggs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Clarousel

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Sorry I'm posting a second post on this but I'm really in a frenzy trying to save the eggs!

They're being snapped up real quick! I'm thinking of putting a divider from the other fish but even the parents are eating them :S should I add more plants now? oh no!

Plants wont unfortunately make much of a difference to saving eggs, as the fish will eat them no matter what they are stuck to really. Adding plants only generally works to hide fry from becoming tasty snacks for your other stock.

I would recommend as said, to get a fry trap/breeding net and put them all in there with an airstone if possible, and this will help them on their way, and stop them being eaten :)

If removing them into a different tank, dont forget to add an anti-fungal treatment.

I hope this helps!

Ben

Thanks Mowbz. Unfortunately like you said, I think they've been eaten. I saw one in the gravel but when I came home I think the fish found it :-( I had all my hopes in that egg!

So I have to fish out the eggs immediately and put them in the trap? Will probably do that next time round. They are still spawning I think but I don't have a trap/net atm.

When you say anti-fungal treatment, do you mean those medicines for treating fungal infections? :S

If you want to breed the cherry barbs, there's really no other way apart from having a separate breeding tank of at least 10 or 20g. then you can condition the females in there and add the males once the females are ready.

You'll need spawning mops or a layer of marbles or largish pebbles for the egss to fall between so the parents can't eat them, and some small first foods for once the fry become free swimming.

If you want to breed the cherry barbs, there's really no other way apart from having a separate breeding tank of at least 10 or 20g. then you can condition the females in there and add the males once the females are ready.

You'll need spawning mops or a layer of marbles or largish pebbles for the egss to fall between so the parents can't eat them, and some small first foods for once the fry become free swimming.

Thanks fluttermoth for replying here as well. I don't think I'm planning on breeding them, I just thought since she's laying eggs why not try and save 'em?

Will think about it if they spawn loads though :)

You're welcome; breeding fish is great fun, but you do need a proper set up, and be ready with the first foods; many, many fish fry starve to death because the breeder wasn't prepared.

Newly hatched brine shrimp is good for most egg laying fish, but some need infusoria. You can also buy decapsulated brine shrimp eggs that you can feed as they are; they don't need hatching out and they're great to keep as standby :)

You're welcome; breeding fish is great fun, but you do need a proper set up, and be ready with the first foods; many, many fish fry starve to death because the breeder wasn't prepared.

Newly hatched brine shrimp is good for most egg laying fish, but some need infusoria. You can also buy decapsulated brine shrimp eggs that you can feed as they are; they don't need hatching out and they're great to keep as standby :)

Just asking for fun, is there anything other than brine shrimp that the fish fry are able to eat? Or does it depend on the type of fish fry? Also, I see brine shrimp being mentioned a lot but I have no idea what they are :look:

It depends on the type of fish you're breeding as to what first foods they need; very small fry need infusoria (I use green water from the water butt and loads of plants; I've never managed to culture the stuff :crazy: ).

Brine shrimp are tiny little shrimps (well, they're tiny when they hatch!) that live in salt water, so you need a brine shrimp hatchery and some aquarium salt, plus the eggs; it's quite easy to do, but you need to start it off fairly son after your fish have spawned as they take three days or so to hatch (about the same time as most fish eggs) and you need them ready as soon as the fry become free swimming.

The decapsulated brine shrimp eggs don't need hatching out and you can keep them in the fridge or a cool, dark place, but they're not quite as nutritious as the baby brine shrimp, and some fry don't recognise them as food because they don't move.

I see. Wow I've never heard of those before! Thanks for the info fluttermoth :) Now I know what fish fry feed on :X

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back